Upgrading from HA-RX700. Wondering what my options are.
Apr 17, 2009 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm in love with the PFE gray filter sound signature. Keep that in mind. I want a wider/deeper soundstage, though (at least somewhat illusive, please. I like to feel like I'm there. It can't be unnaturally big, though. Just big. And accurate. And natural). My RX700s are a little too bassy, and they sound quite muddy and slow (I'm a little spoiled by the balanced armature sound). So the bass needs to be more controlled and in a slightly lesser quantity, while still extending quite low (so, basically the typical PFE bass. in moderation, yet very well-extended), and the headphone has to be crystal clear (no veil or muddiness) and quick.

I don't want anything ridiculously clinical or analytical. Just something fun enough to melt into with enjoyment, yet still pretty damn detailed and quick, and with a noticeably big and natural soundstage. And as PFE-sounding as possible.

Sources:

-Sony S639F (warm-sounding, average or very slightly above average detail)
-Aiwa PCDP (natural, neutral but maybe slightly on the warm side, and detailed)

Amp: I don't have one yet but I plan on getting a Minibox-E+ when I have enough money for it.

Music examples:

Erik Mongrain
Andrew Gorny
John Butler Trio
Antoine Dufour
Don Ross
Matthew Santos
Jeff Buckley

Please suggest headphones of all different prices, as I'm not even saving up yet and I'm just trying to get an idea of my options, but if I upgrade anytime soon I'll probably try to stay in or under the $300-$400 range.

P.S. - I'm aware of the HD800, and I probably will get them way down the road, but it's much too soon for them both financially and amplification-wise.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Anyone else?

Also, don't open cans usually have a problem extending down low?

And would the AD700 really be a significant upgrade from the HA-RX700, or just the kind of thing where you put it on your head and go, "Oh, well, that's nice."?

BTW, sparkly yet natural and non-fatiguing treble is a must for my music taste.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 8
^ You won't be satisfied with it (or with any phone) unless you allow yourself to be. Many folks (like me) are happy with $100 phones. Others are dissatisfied after spending thousands more.

Apr 18, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else?

Also, don't open cans usually have a problem extending down low?

And would the AD700 really be a significant upgrade from the HA-RX700, or just the kind of thing where you put it on your head and go, "Oh, well, that's nice."?

BTW, sparkly yet natural and non-fatiguing treble is a must for my music taste.

I found the AD700 to be nice, great sound stage and detail + highs, and the hype was half-worth it.

However, coming from the RX700, the AD700 might not sound as 'full' or 'rich'. It's really anemic in the bass to me, and I overall preferred the RX700 sound sig.

With that being said, the AD700 has a bigger sound stage and more detail. Nothing mind-boggling drastic though, it's all about the music.

I would definitely go for a closed can or, if you can, go for the AD900, I heard they have more bass and more attack that's needed for rock and such.

If you're listening to classical/jazz, the AD700 is great - as long as you don't mind the lack of bass.

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 8
The AD900 seems nice.

Does the treble still sparkle enough to make it exciting? If so, AD900 it is, as long as the bass isn't rolled off too soon.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 8
I would try the AD700 before investing in the AD900. Unless you have loads of cash laying around. I haven't heard the AD900 but they're supposed to be the same signature as the AD700, just better. And while the AD700 has good soundstage and clarity, it's not for everyone, especially someone coming right off the RX700. Like Adrenaline said, you may find them light sounding. They have far less presence and oomfh than the RX700. The bass extends quite low, but its not very audible because it's so light.

If you want soundstage more than presence, and clarity more than low end, you'll like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back