upgrading from Grado SR60
Mar 12, 2006 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

david96na

New Head-Fier
I would like suggestions on my next pair of headphones. I've used the Grado 60 for a couple months now, having used only $20 headphones in the past. Needless to say, the Grado is my favorite so far; I feel it has very neutral, natural sound compared to my previous headphones. However, the Grado is also the least comfortable for extended listening (>30-60 minutes).

My music source is mp3 files at 192-320 bit rates and apple lossless, using a 30 GB iPod, and via iTunes on my computer. I listen to a wide variety of music, from classical to contemporary jazz to pop/rock.

I prefer an open design so that I can listen to what my young kids are up to, and circumaural for greater comfort. I prefer to spend about $100 but willing to go up to about $200 for clearly superior sound. I don't plan on getting an amp at this point.

I'm thinking about Sennheiser 555 or 595. The 595 is almost double the price of the 555. Do people think that the 595 is significantly better considering my music source (iPod or computer)? Any other recommended headphones for comfort and sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back