Upgrading from Grado SR-60 to... SR-225 or 325i?
Mar 27, 2006 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AdamP

100+ Head-Fier
How much of a difference will I see between the Grado SR-60 to either the 325i or the SR-225?

I am interested in more bass and a little more tamed and detailed high end.
I'm pretty sure both the 325i and the SR-225 will do this but I'm more interested in bass.

What is the general sound signature that sets these three headphones apart?

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 12
Want more bass? Koss PortaPro's..
very_evil_smiley.gif

I've heard of 325i but not the 225. I have heard that 225 is a little warmer sounding, more bass and tamer high's. 325i is still pretty bright, but it is better than sr60 in overall SQ for sure.

Have you tried Senns?

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by smooth_boarder
Want more bass? Koss PortaPro's..
very_evil_smiley.gif

I've heard of 325i but not the 225. I have heard that 225 is a little warmer sounding, more bass and tamer high's. 325i is still pretty bright, but it is better than sr60 in overall SQ for sure.

Have you tried Senns?

I've heard the PortaPro's... not really a fan.
The bass is boomy and the mids has a sort of muffled quality to them the. The PX-100 is better than the PortaPros... not to mention they aren't a hideous baby blue color.

Phones like KSC-35/55/75, PX-100 do have a surprising amount of bass but the highs and bass run out of steam at high volumes and start breaking up.

The SR-60s maintain their composure. The bass extends lower and tighter than both the PX-100 or PortaPros... the mid and highs are in a totally different league than what the other two offer.

As it stands right now I'm mainly leaning towards the SR-225.

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 12
The SR325i is a fantastic set of cans, and is a big upgrade to the SR60. The highs on the 325i are a bit bright, but they are very clean and clear, and not harsh in any way. You also get better bass, and those beautiful gold metal cups!

The 225 is also a nice set, with warmer highs, and great bass. I personally prefer the 325i, because it has more detail than the 225, while still giving you great bass response!
icon10.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP
I've heard the PortaPro's... not really a fan.
The bass is boomy and the mids has a sort of muffled quality to them the. The PX-100 is better than the PortaPros... not to mention they aren't a hideous baby blue color.

Actually, when I compared my burnt in portaPros to a freind's burnt in PX100s, I very much preferred the portaPros. The PX100 had a muffled sound in the higher end, the typical Senn veil. portaPros seemed more energetic to me.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 12
I like my 325i better then the RS1 when pairing with the PPX3 SLAM/ RCA5687 tubes.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 12
You might wanna consider the MS2i as well.

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 12
I had the 60's first and fell in love with their sound and decided as you that I wanted more. I went with the 225's and was a little disappointed. The difference, to me, was slight. The highs are more detailed, but the bass I would have to argue was not more powerful just a little more detailed. Don't get me wrong I use the 225's a lot now that I have them, but I was not blown away in a big difference between the two, I had to really listen and focus to find the difference.

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
You might wanna consider the MS2i as well.

Seconded.

I just got mine a few days ago and I don't think they're fully burned in yet, but already they sound superior to my SR 125s. Much more bass impact. This is with bowls, and I couldn't really ask for more than this. I used to tape the bowls on my 125s to get more bass punch, but I find that I don't need to do that with the MS2s. There's also more detail, yet the experience is less fatiguing. The MS2s have got some punch, as opposed to the the 125s stab. I would describe them as still bright with excellent extension in the highs, but with the edges rounded off. Also, I think there is more emphasis on the midrange with the MS2, which isn't really a bad thing.
biggrin.gif

This is exactly what I was looking for. Eargasm!
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #12 of 12
I did the SR60 to SR225 upgrade and found it a significant improvement. The highs on the 225s extend much higher than the 60s, but sound less harsh and much more natural. 225s have more detail, the 60s sound nasty and fuzzy in comparison. Bass didn't really improve like I expected though. The 225s can reach much lower than the 60s but still don't hit all that hard. Probably partly due to the change from comfies to bowl pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back