Upgrading from E4c. Which Westone ?
Feb 19, 2010 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

yanival

New Head-Fier
I have some very specific questions regarding the Westone 3 and UM3x. Yes, I know that there are threads with total of 300 pages about those two, but after several hours of reading I couldn't find the answers to my questions:

I'm using the Shure E4c/SLC4 for few years, and just love them. Moving up from the E2c was quite noticeable. Now, after reading here I would like to add a Westone 3 or UM3x. The E4c will still be used. I'm using the earphones only with portable Cowon iAudio 7. No amp. The earphones will play a lot of progressive/melodic trance, Nirvana Unplagged, and Spanish Guitar. I am not the kind of listener that is thrilled from too much bass. Always playing on low volume, and for many hours at a time. Please help me decide between the 3 and UM3x:

1) Which one will be more different from the E4c ? Remember that I'm keeping the E4c.
2) Which one fits my use as stated about ?
3) Will the um3x be good at lower volume levels ?
4) Is there really that much of a difference between the two Westones ?
5) I've read things about cheap build quality of the UM3x. Can anybody confirm ?

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 7
Having owned E4 for several years I would say W3 is the more different IEM because.

Like UM3X, E4 is also very neutral, somewhat narrow soundstage with highs a bit rolled off (but I enjoyed the E4 immensely while I had it).

W3 has larger bass, better treble and a much larger soundstage....all a departure.

I don't have the stats but in 7 years year, Westone is among THE BEST quality among all brands. Very few issues. And if you actually take good care of them you should NEVER have a problem.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 7
Upgrading from E4c, you will notice better overall sound quality, details and soundstage with UM3x, Shure SE530.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 7
westone 3 is a bit of a bass monster and very detailed and strident treble, so this would be the most different from the sc4, i have w3, se420,se530, the shures dont have a lot of bass in comparison, the se420 has hardly eny and rolled of highs, the umx3 is supposed to have forward mids like the shures, but ive not heard it
regular_smile .gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks guys. I haven't heard too many hi-end headphones, so I don't really know what are the side effects of the lively, large sound-stage, bassy Westone 3. Will it still sound accurate and detailed comparing to the E4c. I it comfortable to listen to for several hours at a time ?

The main reason that I'm attracted to the 3 is that it is very different from the E4c, so it will deliver new kind of experience to my ears. However, I would still want to get super detailed and sharp music.

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 7
i also have e4c, now i love the sound of my TF10.vi , i must say ,its a huge improvement in all aspect. im lucky to have a great fit on the tf10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back