Upgrading from E4C to either SE530, TF10, or Westone 3
Feb 10, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While my pick would be W3, if E4's fatigued your ears I would suspect W3's would do the same even moreso since they reveal quite a bit of treble.

Unless he was fatigued by the overemphasized midrange & smaller soundstage, which would make the SE530's a bad choice.

In my experience, a wider soundstage lessens treble-fatigue, and the W3 will be wider.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #17 of 28
I am also considering the upgrade from E4C to SE530, or maybe even the SE535 when they are available. My question is about positioning them in your ears. With the E4C, I am "lazy"... I stick them straight in my ears like basic earbuds, without wrapping the cable over my ears. So I think I end up wearing them upside-down. My question is: can this be done with the SE530? It looks like they might have to be worn only the proper way.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #18 of 28
I'm fairly certain the SE530's have to be worn over the ear. I always wear my E4's that way, too. It's so much easier to put them in that way because the cords bend and make them fall out the other way. After a while I just gave up, although I do think they sound a bit better when worn over the ear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by imn8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also considering the upgrade from E4C to SE530, or maybe even the SE535 when they are available. My question is about positioning them in your ears. With the E4C, I am "lazy"... I stick them straight in my ears like basic earbuds, without wrapping the cable over my ears. So I think I end up wearing them upside-down. My question is: can this be done with the SE530? It looks like they might have to be worn only the proper way.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #19 of 28
westone 3 is probably the best bet for you considering your music preference. it colors the music very well for casual listeners like us, comfortable, good cabling, fits easily. its almost perfect aside from its pricetag but definitely worth the deal if you can find it for below market price. tf10 is the best bang for buck if you are concern about your wallet but inferior in terms of comfort and sounds a bit grainy to me at times.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #21 of 28
I'm currently using my W3 with D4 also, and i got to say the sound is pretty AMAZING. But I think the D4 with the dual OPA1611 opamps from HiFlight with the stock buffer sounds better with the W3 compare to the stock AD8066 opamps. Thinking about getting an IE8 when I have the $. Wonder how it compares to the W3?....

Feb 10, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #22 of 28
If you're going to get another Shure product, wait until the SE425/SE535 come out - their cables are notoriously bad (I'm speaking from experience, as I've lost 3 pairs due to shorts) and I refuse to buy another one of their products that do not have user-replaceable cables (which the SE425 and SE535 will).

Aside from that, I think the fit issues with the TF10 are way overblown. I have no doubt that some people have trouble with the fit, but they seem to be very (and understandably) vocal about it while the rest who get them to fit just keep quiet and go on with our day.

The "stock" fit was OK, but I really have a great fit now that I've switched to the Sony "hybrid" tips, and switched the wires around and reversed the earphones (the so-called "flip-flop" mod). The Sony tips provide a much better (and more comfortable) seal, while reversing the earphones makes for a deeper insertion with a more flush fit (gets rid of the Frankenstein look).

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get, but if you go with the Shures I'd strongly suggestion waiting for the refresh of their two top models before purchasing. It will save you the headache of having to replace another pair of IEMs when only the cable has gone bad.

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #23 of 28
While TF10 are a great set of IEM-s they do tend to be uncomfortable, so the best way would really be to try and check the fit before you buy them.
But for the comfort issues, they'd beat any other universal IEM, IMHO.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tr4visphu0ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently using my W3 with D4 also, and i got to say the sound is pretty AMAZING. But I think the D4 with the dual OPA1611 opamps from HiFlight with the stock buffer sounds better with the W3 compare to the stock AD8066 opamps. Thinking about getting an IE8 when I have the $. Wonder how it compares to the W3?....

Thanks for the info...I actually do have the opamp kit installed (with the stock buffers too!) One poster noted a tie between the W3 and the IE8...I think in terms of my research these are the best non-custom so far, we'll see in a few days!

Here is a link to my review of the D4/T3 amps:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...thread-454035/

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aside from that, I think the fit issues with the TF10 are way overblown. I have no doubt that some people have trouble with the fit, but they seem to be very (and understandably) vocal about it while the rest who get them to fit just keep quiet and go on with our day.

basically 2nding your post. I wear the TF10's in flip flop mode as well and they are a lot more compact imho.

I also think the fit issues are overblown and tips aren't that big of a deal to change. You can also easily decore the shure black olives and use those if you really are worried about fit.

I haven't tried the sony hybrids, but I might give them a shot after my supply of shure olives runs out. For now, i've been using the stock tips and they're pretty good.

For SQ at the price, you really can't beat the TF10s.

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #26 of 28
Have the W3s on right now, just got them...very fine sound...I didnt expect a UPS delivery today!!!!!
So Im happy but I left my D4 at work not expecting to see them for a couple more days!

Anyway, unamped from my thinkpad streaming Pandora, they sound fantastic...I prefer the foam inserts, the silicone and rubber inserts just do not close out enough IMO, kind of like the difference between a closed phone and open with the foam versus silicone respectively.

Well after an hour, the foam are a bit fatiguing...the triple flange are a bit more comfortable and isolate very well...first flange cut, so I guess they are now double flange!

It kind of cool, takes some getting used to as they are my first IEMs...I am not sure if Im 100% sold, Ill start my own thread, not to hijack this one but I think the SQ is top notch and the soundstage wide, and that is just from my laptop, I am going to venture to say the D4 is going to make them come alive like Frampton.

**my HP laptop has a much more refined HP out, much more detail and clarity, I feel even better! I cannot wait for the D4 DAC Amp tomorrow afternoon!

I think I may be going custom very soon.

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going to get another Shure product, wait until the SE425/SE535 come out - their cables are notoriously bad (I'm speaking from experience, as I've lost 3 pairs due to shorts) and I refuse to buy another one of their products that do not have user-replaceable cables (which the SE425 and SE535 will).

+1
or get the IE8s.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #28 of 28
I have both the SE530 and the W3, I prefer the W3 as to my ears they sound better. IMHO, you really wouldn't be disappointed with either as they both have great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back