Upgrading from DT990 Pro's
Feb 7, 2021 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

smashey

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone
I'm rediscovering true audio quality after many years letting it take the back seat. I've a few old headphones but my current 'best' option is an old pair of well worn DT990 pro's. I got a Chord Mojo for Xmas and this (with a Tidal subscription) has catapulted the quality of source material I access to a new level. I know the DT990's are flawed but do love the physical comfort and weight of them. I'm more troubled by the bass hump than the treble peaks, but acknowledge they may be causing fatigue. The dynamics I get with the 990's makes up for these shortcomings for me.

I'm considering a serious upgrade and, looking at a long term commitment, could run to the Sennheiser HD800s and an iFi micro iDSD. An alternative - in my head at least - would be the Audeze LCD-X (creators edition) but not sure on suitable amp choices. Now I understand there will be as many opinions out there as there are headphone amp combinations, so I'm narrowing it down to either one of these to start off with. Because of Covid, I can't realistically do even short auditions of candidates. Retailers here are allowing returns if not satisfied, so I've that safety net but that precludes A-B testing. I'd also like to get the choice right first time and not mess about. I listen to everything from acoustic, through indie to prog rock (not heavy metal) but Tidal has me investigating the EDM genre now too.

I've a couple of concerns that the forum might be able to address, especially from members that have direct experience with these models.
1. I'm not a fan of the Sennheiser 'house sound' from their lower end models (HD560's and below) - would the 800s's follow the trend of being more clinical and less musical?
2. 600g sounds like a lot of weight for long term listening so with the Audezy's - could you wear them for really extended listening? I'd also be concerned they might be a bit bass heavy - how neutral are they in real terms?

Thanks for all opinions in advance - Mike C

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 3
The HD800S are extremely resolving, but bass shy. So far as I know most people only really listen to classical without running EQ on them. Their big claim to fame is soundstage - super wide, very detailed, some say almost to the point of sounding "artificial". I would not recommend them based on what you say you're looking for, though at some point when it becomes an option again I'd suggest you demo them, as their sound is fairly unique.

Yes, the LCD-X (and 2/3/4) are pretty heavy. I have not personally owned any of them, just listened to them briefly. They're too heavy for me, but I do tend to gravitate towards lighter headphones like the ATH-R70X and Hyland Jupiter One, so am likely biased there.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 3
The HD800S are extremely resolving, but bass shy. So far as I know most people only really listen to classical without running EQ on them. Their big claim to fame is soundstage - super wide, very detailed, some say almost to the point of sounding "artificial".....
the LCD-X (and 2/3/4) are pretty heavy.... They're too heavy for me, but I do tend to gravitate towards lighter headphones like the ATH-R70X and Hyland Jupiter One
Thanks for the response Silent-Circuit - can you give me an idea of the sound of the Hylands? Not a brand I was aware of. From the sound of it, you'd rule the HD800s out even with a sympathetic amp and weight was my concern with the Audeze so there goes my shortlist :)

Anyone else have experience of the Sennheisers for Electronica and soft rock? I'd be mix and matching my sources so would probably want to avoid working with software EQ to 'correct' the frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back