Upgrading from DT770 - HD 650 or Pro 750 ?
Nov 3, 2009 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ipumuk

100+ Head-Fier
hi,
I have had the dt770 for a few years now. they are great headphones.

Now I am considering upgrading my headphones again. I narrowed my choice down to the Ultrasone Pro 750 and the Sennheiser HD 650.

What I love about my dt770s is the bass.

The recessed mids are a mixed blessing. While absolutely awesome when listening to electronical music, which is my primary music taste, they make me feel like I am missing something when listening to pop or rock music.

What I do not like about them are the sometimes piercing heights that occur in some recordings.

You can deduce from my impressions on the dt770, that I am looking for headphone with equal bass, better mids and not so harsh heights.

What can you tell me about the abovementioned headphones in comparison to the beyerdynamic dt770? Will one of them satisfy my needs?

Any input will be appreciated!

kind regards
daniel

Equipment: Hotaudio Destroyer DAC -> Z-Audio Lambda Amp -> Headphone

p.s.: I just realized that germany does not only make the best cars but also the best headphones
beerchug.gif
- Not to mention beer haha.

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, I suggest considering the HFI780.

just considering the price tag I expect this headphone to sound different than the dt770 but never better overall. I had the hfi550 for a few weeks and those were WAY inferiour to the dt770 in all aspects.

If I spend more money on audio equipment, I am willing to pay a little bit more but it has to be an upgrade worthwhile.

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 21
Tough to upgrade from headphones that you already know you like. The HFI780 seems to get high praise. But an upgrade for you more likely may be another Beyerdyanmic, a Denon, or search "Denondynamic".

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipumuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just considering the price tag I expect this headphone to sound different than the dt770 but never better overall. I had the hfi550 for a few weeks and those were WAY inferiour to the dt770 in all aspects.

If I spend more money on audio equipment, I am willing to pay a little bit more but it has to be an upgrade worthwhile.

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 21
Haven´t considered the German Maestro EU loan program? The 435S may be what you are after or 8.35D Monitors if you need even more bass.

Many years ago I did that switch. DT 770 to Pro 750 and it worked damn well for me.

I doubt you will be that impressed with DT 770 bass once you burned in your Pro 750s. As for treble they are studio headphones and unless you are going to use low listening levels (which both the 750 and 900 are quite good with) you may get similar issues that you got with the DT 770 Pro regarding harsh treble.

HD 650 is a better choice with it´s rolled off treble in that regard but for your genres it´s really quite bad. Certainly not something to rock out with.

Otherwise DT 990 Pro should be quite a safe bet you would think. But it´s really more rewarding having different signatures to alternate between
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 21
What is your budget? I ask because the PRO 900 are not much more expensive (=$400) than the HD650 and have the bass you want as well as lacking the harsh highs that many have found with the PRO 750.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 21
Ultrasones Headquarters are in Tutzing which isnt very far from München. You might want to check it out. Maybe they can let you test them out for yourself? I recommend Ultrasones if you want great bass because they have some of the best in the world as I am sure you already know.

P.S. Freut mich andere deutsche zu sehen... bin in Obermenzing aufgewachsen
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 21
I was thinking about spending 300€.

In germany the pro 750 and the hd 650 both cost 280€.

the pro 900 costs 400 €.

ultrasone prices are very strange. - its cheaper for me to order their products from china than buying them in the same city they are manufactured.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 21
I had the DT 770...sold them and bought the HD650 for classical. Love them. No veil, very transparent. Bass is there but not heavy like the Pro 750, which I also own. I use the Pro 750 for a transportable can with my portable amp, and it plays fine with my touch w/o and amp for many songs that have been well recorded.
I think the HD650 is a much better overall set of phones.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the DT 770...sold them and bought the HD650 for classical. Love them. No veil, very transparent. Bass is there but not heavy like the Pro 750, which I also own. I use the Pro 750 for a transportable can with my portable amp, and it plays fine with my touch w/o and amp for many songs that have been well recorded.
I think the HD650 is a much better overall set of phones.

I can agree with you that the dt770 is very bad for classical music.
I only rarely listen to classic but when I do I always think the dt770s fail.

But the sound signature that makes them fail in classic is the same that makes them exceed with perfectly recorded and mixed electronical music.

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 21
I had the chance to buy the ultrasone pro 900 used for 260€. I took it.

I basically bought them because of the nice price I was offered.

Once I get them I will tell you how I feel about the purchase and write a little comparison dt770 vs pro 900.

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 21
I'm personally not a fan of the Ultrasone sound. I would recommend the HD650s or K701s (depending on your amp).

Or maybe Grado...SR225i (ideally the RS1 used!).

Cheers

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #14 of 21
on my quest for my first quality headphone i owned the hf-1 from grado and the k271 from akg. i did not like both of their sound signatures to an extend that i will never ever give money first to get a chance to try out akgs or grados.

in that regard it makes me comfortable that you do not like the ultrasone sound and suggest those other brands that i didnt like
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back