Upgrading from CX300's
May 12, 2010 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

edgecrusher

New Head-Fier
I bought some CX300's about a year ago and they're starting to give up, drivers making a clicking noise when I put them in and sound awful.

I used to think the CX300's sounded great as they were the first pair of decent headphones I bought but then I got some HD515's for home and would love something that sounds nearly as good on the go.

I've been looking at PX200's, CX500's, Klipsch S4's and Etymotic 6i's.

After reading a huge amount of reviews I still can't seem to come to a decision, which of these would be best for on the go?

I generally listen to Metal and Industrial if that has any impact.

Thanks.

May 12, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 12
I had the S4's and they have some big time bass, but the highs can get harsh and the mids are lacking.

I recently upgraded to the MTPG's and they sound much better. Based on that i would look into the regular Monster Turbines.

May 12, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 12
CX-300 is actually very boomy. The bass on it is not well controlled. If you get the Etymotic, you will feel that there is no bass on it at first, till you slowly accustom yourself to the sound signature. I switched from CX-300 to etymotic hf5, at first I felt like it has no bass, but once I get used to it, I began to appreciate details that I had not heard on the CX-300.

There are actually a lot of excellent choices, look up ClieOS's and ljoker's review on IEMs. Fischer Audio has quite a few good earphones at very good price. The DBA-02 is also one of the very best mid range earphone, but at 170 it may be too expensive for you.

May 12, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
CX-300 is actually very boomy. The bass on it is not well controlled. If you get the Etymotic, you will feel that there is no bass on it at first, till you slowly accustom yourself to the sound signature. I switched from CX-300 to etymotic hf5, at first I felt like it has no bass, but once I get used to it, I began to appreciate details that I had not heard on the CX-300.

Agreed, although if you go with etymotic get the hf-5 and not the er6i, they have a nicer sound with a bit more bass. I imagine you'd find the er6i too anaemic. There are lots of options in that range, all discussed on these forums, most of which either have appreciation threads or have been reviewed in a comparison thread or both.

May 12, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 12
RE0s are unbelievable, despite criticism for the lack of bass. I listen to r&b and rap, and I personally feel that it has enough bass. However, there might be a bit of a learning curve from CX300s to RE0s, especially considering the OP's metal + industrial genres. I think it all comes down to if you want to hear the drums or the guitar. 

Adding to everybody's comment, i doubt the Etymotics will have enough bass to satisfy you.

May 13, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 12
If you want some extra bass sure. But, RE0's are loud enough for me with my iPod Touch's volume at 3/4 of the bar. RE0s does not need an amp to work properly, but it sounds "better" with a "decent" amp.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back