Upgrading from CX300
Oct 1, 2008 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

syndrome

100+ Head-Fier
While I like the impact of the bass of my CX300, I feel I miss something. I'm looking for a more detailed sound, with cleaner impact.

These are a couple of IEM's that fit my price range and availability:

JAYS d-Jays
JAYS q-Jays
Shure SE210
Denon AH-C551
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio
Etymotic ER-6i Isolator
V-Moda Vibes

And the likes. But of course, if you can come up with anything else I've missed, feel free to recommend.

As I mentioned earlier, I like bass in my music, so I'm unsure about the etymotics. I heard they are really thin when it comes to bass? Isolation doesn't really matter as long as they are in ear. For example, the isolation of the CX300/EP630 are fine.

And lastly, my source and music. I will run them ampless through my iriver clix2. An EQ is available. Musical preferences:

Metal (90's Melodic Death Metal, Bloodbath, Bolt Thrower, Arch Enemy)
Classic rock (Doors, Bowie, Rush, Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd)
Electronic (Air, Massive Attack)
.. and other (Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Tool)

I'm basically looking for something with detail, solid and tight bass, soundstage, while at the same time supplying the needed punch for metal (without going all muddy).

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 11
Bump: q-Jays were added to the list.

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for the replies.
I've read a couple of times that the C551 has way to sharp and piercing highs, what do you guys say about it?

I can't find the IM716 locally, but the C551 are cheaper than say q-JAYS, I'll definately keep them in mind.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 11
Piercing highs...not in my experience. Tried them with Sarah Brightman (singing soprano) and jazz (with high pitched sax and high hats), and I didn't think they were too sibilant.

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #10 of 11
I bought the CX500s (not the similar 300s) and returned them. They are wax magnets. The dealer said it's a design flaw and returned them to the manufacturer. (The dealer still stocks them, meaning that they continue to sell despite that flaw.)

The 6is sound terrific and, at current street prices, are hard to beat. Highly recommended.

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the CX500s (not the similar 300s) and returned them. They are wax magnets. The dealer said it's a design flaw and returned them to the manufacturer. (The dealer still stocks them, meaning that they continue to sell despite that flaw.)

I find the comply T500 foams take care of the wax issues with the Senns ( I own the CX400's), but they are pretty much the same except for the volume control. The foamies fit perfectly. Tried them out one day after removing them from my UE 5 pro's. They're also very comfortable and can be worn for long periods without that much wax buildup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back