Upgrading From CX300 for £40-45
Apr 20, 2008 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

wicker_man

Head-Fier
After almost 2 years of daily use, the left earphone of my Sennheiser CX300 has stopped working, so I am now looking for a replacement.

I have an iPod Classic and listen to mainly metal (heavy/death/power/thrash etc) and hard rock. My music library is mostly encoded between 224-320kbps.

I'm looking to spend around £40-45 (I am in the UK) on some isolating earphones, I liked the CX300, but want something 'the next step up' with better quality/detail, and with a good amount of bass (but not boomy).

From my research, I have found the following in my budget:

Beyerdynamic DTX50
Ultimate Ears Metro.fi 2
Goldring GX200
Denon AH-C351

Another option is the CrossRoads MylarOne X3i, but the reports of build quality issues is putting me off because I will be using the earphones daily. However, I am tempted with the DTX50 & X3i package for $99 (which is just under £50).

Which would be the best option for me to go for?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(Just thought I'd add that I am going to be buying some JVC HA-FX33 Marshmallows temporarily because I have a trip next week involving a 5 hour coach journey and online orders will not arrive in time and there are no good headphone stores near me and the Marshmallows are the cheapest "good" ones available locally.)

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 13
I have also found the Sony MDR-EX90 and Shure SE110 available as 'open box' from a retailer in my budget, would they be worth considering also?

Or, possibly some second hand Etymotic ER-6i?

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if are able to not use isolating, i suggest the alessandro ms1. 99 dollars shipped to uk, and are brilliant, especially for rock etc.

He is clearly looking for an IEM/canalphone so this advice doesn't seem really helpful tbh.
confused.gif

There are so many players on the "low budget" IEM market, it's hard to make a decision.
From the sound sig description you gave in your post, you might want to consider a new canalphone on the market: the Head-Direct RE2. $80 shipped from the US until the 26th of April on head-direct.com. From the reviews I have read (do a little search on Google and here on Head-Fi), they are very balanced and some rate them even better than some of the Denon canalphones.
Good luck with making the tough decision.
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well im sorry, you must not be able to read. it said if you are able to not use isolating. IF!!!

LOL

Ok wicker_man, IF you can stretch your budget a little bit, you might want to consider a pair of Stax.

Hope this helps.

rolleyes.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wicker_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After almost 2 years of daily use, the left earphone of my Sennheiser CX300 has stopped working, so I am now looking for a replacement.

I have an iPod Classic and listen to mainly metal (heavy/death/power/thrash etc) and hard rock. My music library is mostly encoded between 224-320kbps.

I'm looking to spend around £40-45 (I am in the UK) on some isolating earphones, I liked the CX300, but want something 'the next step up' with better quality/detail, and with a good amount of bass (but not boomy).

From my research, I have found the following in my budget:

Beyerdynamic DTX50
Ultimate Ears Metro.fi 2
Goldring GX200
Denon AH-C351

Another option is the CrossRoads MylarOne X3i, but the reports of build quality issues is putting me off because I will be using the earphones daily. However, I am tempted with the DTX50 & X3i package for $99 (which is just under £50).

Which would be the best option for me to go for?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(Just thought I'd add that I am going to be buying some JVC HA-FX33 Marshmallows temporarily because I have a trip next week involving a 5 hour coach journey and online orders will not arrive in time and there are no good headphone stores near me and the Marshmallows are the cheapest "good" ones available locally.)

I haven't heard the Denon's, but out of the other three you have listed the GX200s would be the pick. They are a big step up from the CX300s with the same bass driven sound sig. Their bass is much tighter than the CX300s but with no less quantity. They have very thick smooth mids and reasonable treble extension.

There have been some people here that have had problems with the Goldrings reliability so you'd want to get them from an authorised seller in case you need the warranty.

If you thought the CX300s were a tad boomy, the ATH-CK7s would be another to consider. I think they are superior to all those discussed above. However they have less bass quantity than the CX300s. The bass is deep and tight but less intrusive on the rest of the spectrum than the even the GX200s. Their mids and highs kill all the others.

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for the replies.

I would like isolating earphones because they would be mostly used outside walking to lectures etc and plus it would be easier to put in a pocket.

I haven't head of the Head Direct RE2, but I'll have a look and read up about them.

I'll also read up about the Goldrings more.

The ATH-CK7 seem to be over my budget, cheapest is around £68 + shipping.

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 13
There are apparently US sights that have the CK7s for around $65 us. But that means waiting for shipping and trawling through seller reviews which I know is a pain. I got lucky and got mine before they went up for $70 US from Audio Cubes.

But the GX200s are very good too. Good luck!

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wicker_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies.

I would like isolating earphones because they would be mostly used outside walking to lectures etc and plus it would be easier to put in a pocket.

I haven't head of the Head Direct RE2, but I'll have a look and read up about them.

I'll also read up about the Goldrings more.

The ATH-CK7 seem to be over my budget, cheapest is around £68 + shipping.

Warehouse123.com -- Product Info

+ international shipping. Registered letter, gift item, shipping to greece was 5-6$
biggrin.gif
. Plus delivery from hong kong airport 5 business days
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #12 of 13
Thanks, I will consider the CK7 from Warehouse123.

What are opinions on the Etymotic ER-6i? (I could get some second hand).

Also, if I stretch my budget slightly, I could get Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3. Would it be worth getting these? Are they good for metal?

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 13
Any opinions on the ER-6i or Super.fi 3? Good for metal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back