Upgrading from Beyerdynamic DT990
Oct 22, 2014 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ZippingPear

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I am relatively inexperienced in the world of audiophiles. I currently have a pair of beyerdynamic dt990 (600 ohms) and I have been using Fiio E9/E17 combo with it for more than a couple of years now. I have finally decided that I am ready to take the next step and upgrade my setup.

Currently, I am thinking about the beyerdynamic T90 which are only 250 ohms and thus easier to drive. Still, I have the suspicion that I might need better DAC and Amp and even my current DT990 might be underpowered even though I can get really high volumes. So my questions are:

-Should I upgrade my DAC/Amp first before thinking about new pair of headphones? If so what combo do you recommend for the T90 (below $1000).

-Are there any other headphones that you would recommend for less than $1000? I have listened to the T90 with M-DAC and good amplifiers and they sounded about as good as T1. I honestly had difficulty telling them apart. I have heard that HiFiMan HE-500 sound really good for the price but they are uncomfortable. Well, I sometimes use headphones for many hours at a time and comfort is a huge factor in my decision as well.

Thanks guys and any help here is greatly appreciated

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 4
  Hi guys. I am relatively inexperienced in the world of audiophiles. I currently have a pair of beyerdynamic dt990 (600 ohms) and I have been using Fiio E9/E17 combo with it for more than a couple of years now. I have finally decided that I am ready to take the next step and upgrade my setup.

Currently, I am thinking about the beyerdynamic T90 which are only 250 ohms and thus easier to drive. Still, I have the suspicion that I might need better DAC and Amp and even my current DT990 might be underpowered even though I can get really high volumes. So my questions are:

-Should I upgrade my DAC/Amp first before thinking about new pair of headphones? If so what combo do you recommend for the T90 (below $1000).

-Are there any other headphones that you would recommend for less than $1000? I have listened to the T90 with M-DAC and good amplifiers and they sounded about as good as T1. I honestly had difficulty telling them apart. I have heard that HiFiMan HE-500 sound really good for the price but they are uncomfortable. Well, I sometimes use headphones for many hours at a time and comfort is a huge factor in my decision as well.

Thanks guys and any help here is greatly appreciated

I recently picked up a T90 and, having previously owned both the 250ohm and 600ohm DT880, They are very easy to drive in comparison!

Your E9/E17 will have no trouble at all. The E17 on its own will be absolutely fine, too.

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 4
  Hi guys. I am relatively inexperienced in the world of audiophiles. I currently have a pair of Beyerdynamic dt990 (600 ohms) and I have been using Fiio E9/E17 combo with it for more than a couple of years now. I have finally decided that I am ready to take the next step and upgrade my setup.
Currently, I am thinking about the Beyerdynamic T90 which are only 250 ohms and thus easier to drive. Still, I have the suspicion that I might need better DAC and Amp and even my current DT990 might be underpowered even though I can get really high volumes. So my questions are:

Your better off buying better headphones (T90?), then replacing the E9/E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back