Upgrading from B&W P7 - thoughts/recommendations?
May 31, 2016 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

duotone

100+ Head-Fier
Am looking to upgrade from my current pair of B&W P7 & Sennheiser HD 590 & wondered what you could recommend.

Part of me wants to own a pair AKGs as I have never tried a pair of their headphones,

But ideally I would want some recommendations for easy to drive (I usually listen through an IPad), open headphones that are comfortable & can be used for 3-4 hours without discomfort.

So where should I be focus sing my attention...Beyerdynamic?...AKG?...Grado?...Fostex?

Thanks!

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 10
Am looking to upgrade from my current pair of B&W P7 & Sennheiser HD 590 & wondered what you could recommend.

Part of me wants to own a pair AKGs as I have never tried a pair of their headphones,

But ideally I would want some recommendations for easy to drive (I usually listen through an IPad), open headphones that are comfortable & can be used for 3-4 hours without discomfort.

So where should I be focus sing my attention...Beyerdynamic?...AKG?...Grado?...Fostex?

Thanks!

The AKG K712 is a very nice headphone but it needs an amplifier to sound its best.
You should consider the Hifiman HE400S and the Soundmagic HP200 (both quality headphones that will sound great plugged directly into an iPad)

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks! Out of interest the Beyerdynamic DT880's, would you recommend them too? I have heard good reviews of them & they seem to come up a lot in discussions.

Thanks.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks! Out of interest the Beyerdynamic DT880's, would you recommend them too? I have heard good reviews of them & they seem to come up a lot in discussions.

Thanks.

DT880s are moderately hard to drive, similar to the AKGs K7-series thus they need an amplifier to shine.
DT880s are superb headphones but extremely neutral and a bit on the clinical side. They shine with top class recordings at the expense of being quite unforgiving with less than perfect recordings.

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for your help.

Am looking very keenly at the Hifiman HE400S you mentioned & also the Grado Rs2SE & PS500 (although I have heard that Grado headphones are known for not being very comfortable, for long listening sessions).

www.gradolabs.com/headphones/professional-series/item/22-ps500-reviews

http://www.gradolabs.com/headphones/reference-series/item/7-rs2e

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 10
Still undecided, but recently found a YouTube reviewer by the name of Z Reviews, that I have been watching through some of the reviews lately.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC3XdYJjWliOdKuZMNaTiP8Q

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 10
Am still undecided on what to buy but have drawn up a list,which started pretty short, but has expanded quite a lot. At the moment I'm still watching videos / reading online reviews to try and narrow it down.

The more I look the more fussy I am getting!

I would really like an Open pair with velour pads. The more I'm reading, the more intrigued I am with planar magnetic.

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 10
In the end I bought the Sennheiser HD600, at the start of this year.

Am very happy with them so far for home listening. The first thing that came to mind when hearing them was "balanced", the sound just seems that way & the reviews I read where they mentioned it doesn't have much bass..... well I'm glad I ignored those reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back