Upgrading from Audeze LCD-X (2021) to Hifiman HE6se V2 for more bass slam?
Jul 10, 2023 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
According to Resolve from The Headphone Show and headphones.com, the Hifiman HE6 original (long discontinued and very difficult to find on the used market) is something of a king of dynamic bass slam - which is a subjective measure of physicality that is independent from frequency response (i.e. a headphone with a big bass hump can still potentially have weak and compressed-sounding bass and a bass shy headphone can potentially still have huge bass slam).

The Hifiman HE6se V2 is said to be a poor imitation of the original HE6 - offers much of the same qualities but in lesser abundance and therefore also has less of that bass physicality.

I have an Audeze LCD-X and don't find it to be obviously lacking in bass dynamics, but I kind of want to experience a headphone that really excels in this quality. The Hifiman HE6 original is said to easily trounce the LCD-X for bass slam - but what about the HE6se V2? Would you notice a significant upgrade in bass slam with that headphone? And would the HE6se V2 slam harder than a Focal Clear Mg?

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 12
Yes, but only with EQ and sufficient power to drive them, just like the OG.

Jul 10, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 12
I see you have the OG.

Does the OG HE6 give significantly more bass slam than the HE6se V2 assuming both are powered by a nuclear reactor of an amp?
The HE6 requires more power to achieve the same level of slam. Give it even more power and it will beat out the 6SE v2.

The TH900mk2 hits harder than both with less power. And the JVC SZ2000 slams harder than everything. Assuming EQ for all... None of these are bass monsters without it.

The difference between the HE6 and the others is the overall tuning. This is a cohesive sounding headphone that does bass impact well. The TH900 is harsh... The JVC is a muffled mess.

Jul 10, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 12
The HE6 requires more power to achieve the same level of slam. Give it even more power and it will beat out the 6SE v2.

The TH900mk2 hits harder than both with less power. And the JVC SZ2000 slams harder than everything. Assuming EQ for all... None of these are bass monsters without it.

The difference between the HE6 and the others is the overall tuning. This is a cohesive sounding headphone that does bass impact well. The TH900 is harsh... The JVC is a muffled mess.

Hey bud!

I've never used EQ before but I see it is pretty easy to just toggle through an app.

Do you just do a broad shelf of several DB or 10 or whatever amount across the entire bass region for something like HE6SE?

Is there any method to your EQ or you you just kinda play with it until you like the level?

I've never really touched EQ before but may be curious just to play for a session one day because I now have plenty of power on tap with my FA-10.

Jul 10, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 12

Great, thanks.

It must be difficult to quantify but when you say 'it will beat out' the 6SE v2 - do you mean subtly be more impactful where you have to carefully A/B them to discern the difference, or do you mean like night and day difference they leave the 6SE V2 in the dust for bass slam?

Jul 10, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 12
Hey bud!

I've never used EQ before but I see it is pretty easy to just toggle through an app.

Do you just do a broad shelf of several DB or 10 or whatever amount across the entire bass region for something like HE6SE?

Is there any method to your EQ or you you just kinda play with it until you like the level?

I've never really touched EQ before but may be curious just to play for a session one day because I now have plenty of power on tap with my FA-10.
Yo my man, I use a combination of the Lokius and XBass on the iFi Pro iCan. I've also played with software EQ on APO and I just don't love it. Yes, it can improve a headphone, but even though the Lokius is less precise with less control, it sounds more natural to me. But definitely worth experimenting with... EQ presets are readily available for all these headphones, mostly tuned to Harman... then add a bass shelf to taste.

Jul 10, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 12
Great, thanks.

It must be difficult to quantify but when you say 'it will beat out' the 6SE v2 - do you mean subtly be more impactful where you have to carefully A/B them to discern the difference, or do you mean like night and day difference they leave the 6SE V2 in the dust for bass slam?
If I had to quantify the slam... Maybe 15% more on the 6 vs the 6SE? There's a difference that doesn't require an AB, but if I knew what I know now, a $400 6SE vs. a $1400 OG, the SE is most of the way there.

Jul 10, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 12
If I had to quantify the slam... Maybe 15% more on the 6 vs the 6SE? There's a difference that doesn't require an AB, but if I knew what I know now, a $400 6SE vs. a $1400 OG, the SE is most of the way there.
Cool. And have you heard the Focal Clear? That's the other frequently mentioned 'slammy boy' for open-back bass. Does the HE6se V2 have harder slamming bass than it?

Jul 10, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 12
I've heard Clear - IMO the Clear to me does not have that bass like the old school Hifiman.

There are also many people that complain about clipping on those drivers. Default tuning is kind of clinical and just clean on a Clear but I did not find it overly engaging.

I am not the biggest Focal fan personally, I think the Hifiman are much better headphones.

I thought the one decent Focal was the Elex, and from a price to performance perspective, I think it is the one to grab if wanting to go try a Focal.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 12
Agreed. The 6SE hits harder and I prefer it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back