Upgrading from ATH-M50
Aug 13, 2014 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Hokieboy01

100+ Head-Fier
I've had these headphones for ~ 9 months and I am now considering upgrading to either the Sennheiser HD600 or 650. I like the sound signature of the M50 for the most part and am wondering which of these I might like more. I don't have a way to test these out for myself unfortunately.. (Open to other suggestions but these two are my main focus right now)
P.S. Keep it under 450$ US please ;D and my sound card(soundblaster z) isn't the greatest but it can power up to 600 ohms evidently. Also I listen mainly to country music and 70s/80s rock & roll. None of the rap/pop stuff that people like nowadays for some reason.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 31
I do own both the M50s and the HD600. First of all they have a totally different sound signature. While the M50 is V-shaped the HD600 is neutral. The Sennheisers have less bass and less treble than the M50s. So don't expect a similar sound. Think more like complementing each other. If you're looking to replace the M50 I think the HD600 is not the right choise. For example I use the M50s for dubstep and rap stuff and the HD 600 for rock and songwriter stuff. You may cosider the HiFiMAN HE-400. They should have a similar sound signature. In fact being a planar phone the bass will improve and the soundstage will be wide due to the open back design.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 31
Maybe I should rephrase this. Coming from the M50 where I found the bass was good but it wouldn't be the end of the world to tone it down a little (also that one small treble area that gradually rips your skull apart over a few hours).. are the 600s/650s that good? And my main question, poorly stated as it was, was if the 650 would be an easier transition from the m50 than the 600. And currently Amazon is taunting me with the 600 at 350$ and the 650 at 400$ -.- 
And I've seen a fair number of reviews and forum threads that pushed me away from the he400. They are also quite heavy at 440ish grams?

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 31
V-Moda M100. I don't use my M50 anymore since I got the M100.

Big upgrade in bass and mids. The M50 is still sharper, but nothing beats the "fun" sound signature of the M100. Also it is a bit warm compared to the M50.

I also own the JBL S700, in some cases better than the M100, but it lacks consistency in the sound, because of the integrated amp. 

If you happen to get the M100, don't forget the XL pads. They are much needed.

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 31
I'd rank the easiness of transitioning from M50 like this: X1 > HD 650 > HD 600.
But you also have to keep in mind you need a good amp and DAC to differentiate between the Sennheisers. On budget combos they sound similar. The X1 should be the saftest pick.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 31
Is the bass not overkill on the m100 and the x1? I've seen a lot of reviews saying that it is to a degree. I'm not a bass-head psycho or anything so that might be a problem. Also, is the X1 cable an issue? It apparently has some wonky impedance thing going on?
(I came here mainly to finalize my choice between the 600 and the 650. So far I now have three more good choices to think about.. I've been through enough threads that I should have expected this though ^.^)
I keep finding myself wowed by many things about the m100 and vmoda in general during my research of them, but for some reason I never really had a desire to buy them. It's really weird.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #9 of 31
I'd rank the easiness of transitioning from M50 like this: X1 > HD 650 > HD 600.
But you also have to keep in mind you need a good amp and DAC to differentiate between the Sennheisers. On budget combos they sound similar. The X1 should be the saftest pick.

Would you say that the schiit magni/modi or vali/modi would make a good combo for say an hd650? If I go ahead and buy something would these be ideal to go on the Christmas list?

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 31
Sadly I never heard a Schiit product. The Modi/Magni combo is one of the most recommended stacks for entry-level. The HD 650 needs juice to show his full potential and synergies well with tube amps. That's why I'd recommend the Vali/Modi combo if you want to stick to Schiit. Otherwise consider an OTL tube amp like Bottlehead Crack. Add a Modi or ODAC for the DAC section and enjoy your stuff.

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 31
That is the way I'm leaning right now. The schiit stack and the HD650. Most of the recommendations I have gotten here are ones I've already ruled out. Just got a reply on an x1 review that pushed me even closer to the 650. By the way,  I see you own the HD600. Have you had any of the paint chipping issues that pop up  every now and then?

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #15 of 31
Comfort, ease to drive well, bass presentation, livelier treble, soundstage, pretty much everything. I like the 650 but I love the x1

Might I ask what kind of music you use them for? My preferences aren't super bass intensive so I might not get the bass benefit. A big point of the 650 I see people talk about a lot is that it's detailed but fairly forgiving of source quality? I don't want my whole itunes library to sound horrible after an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back