Upgrading from ATH-M50.
Jan 2, 2014 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ninjapenguin120

New Head-Fier
Okay. So, I like my ATH-M50s. But getting a little bit more serious, I'm thinking about going a little bit further.
What I Need:
I need some studio monitor headphones. I listen to rock, classic rock, punk, a little house, and some borderline rock-pop artists. But the 'studio monitor' part is becoming more and more important, as I'm starting to produce videos more and more seriously. Now, I realize that when you're just blogging, or whatever, it's not that big a deal, but I'm really getting to the point where I want to monitor sound, with an accurate sound, flat frequency response, and good sound stage. Plus, I might end up making some songs as well. The M50s are good headphones, but they just don't present much of any sound stage, have an uneven pitch response, and get pretty uncomfortable after a while.

I want some relativity high quality studio monitor headphones, with as flat a frequency response as possible. They should be comfortable to wear, even after longer periods of time, and have good build quality. The sound stage should be at least decent. I hate how music on the M50s is always right in your ear, with no airy presentation.

But here's the most important part. The value needs to be good. That's one of the great parts about the ATH-M50s that I like. For headphones that cost $100 on Amazon, they're very good headphones, and they were even more so in their time, meaning when they were still considered audiophile on a budget quality. If I really need to save up a little, put a chunk of money aside, fine. I'll probably spend some cash, but no way am I paying $300. Ideally, not too much more than $200. They don't have to be that much, the cheaper the better. For example, I've heard great things about the Snhsr HD 280s, which I believe are $100. But again, quality, sound stage, build, flat response, comfort, and good value.

Go crazy, and thanks in advance.
beyersmile.png

NP120

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 9
Hello,

For something with great quality, soundstage, build, flat response, comfort and good value, I recommend the Sony MDR-V6 + Beyerdynamic 250 pads for better comfort. The MDR-V6 is very neutral sounding and pretty good soundstage. Otherwise, you can look into Shure SRH-840 

Hope it helps,
Billson

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 9
The MDR7506/V6 aren't upgrades to the M50, but they do offer a much more neutral frequency response.

I'd recommend the AKG K550, and the K545.

Indeed not an upgrade in terms of resolution, but the K550 is more than $200 if I am not mistaken xD 

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 9
Jan 4, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 9
  http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K551SLV-Closed-Back-Reference-Class-Microphone/dp/B009KOTNA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388817062&sr=8-1&keywords=k551
^$201,  the K545 is $250 though

There aren't any TRUE upgrades at $200 for the M50 except the ATH WS99.  Its price went to $240 though on Amazon recently.

They don't really have to be super cheap, just I'm not paying more than $300.

The AKGs have gotten good reviews, and look like they have good build quality, but I'm concerned about the perfectly circular earcups. The biggest thing about headphones with circular earcups is that they don't have good seal, or comfort. I want to be able to seal out the sounds of the city, and earcups that don't play well with the ovular shape of the ear don't usually get good isolation from it.
Does anyone know if that holds true for the AKGs?

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #9 of 9
K550, K612 pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back