Upgrading from ATH-A900's, Grado Head-Fi 1 (HF-1)?
Sep 11, 2005 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

rab10

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Everybody!

I am upgrading from my trustly old faithful Audio Technica ATH-A900's.

I was thinking about the Alessandro MS-2's, Grado SR-325i, Grado RS-1's, beyerdynamic DT880, or Senn 650's, with the release of the Grado Head-Fi 1 (HF-1) I am thinking about them now.
biggrin.gif

The only thing with the Grado Head-Fi 1 (HF-1) is that they have been compared to the Grado 225 but with more bass, etc. Isn't the Grado SR-325i an upgrade from the Grado 225? How is the Grado Head-Fi 1 (HF-1) compared to the Grado SR-325i???????????????????

(Aside, I will be in Dallas TX in less than 3 weeks. Are there any stores in the Dallas area where I could audition the Grado RS-1?)

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 20
The only people who know the answer to that question right now are John Grado and Todd the Vinyl Junkie. Todd said the bass is bigger and the highs less etchy, so take that as you will. Compared to the SR325i? Who knows!

Sep 11, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 20
I don't think anyone has actually listened to them yet...well maybe John and Todd?

I think they are also suppose to have smoother highs, which is welcome in Grado phones. Taking out some of the edginess. Though who knows, since no one has listened to them.

Though lots have purchased them...including myself!!
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 20
If the Grado Head-Fi 1 (HF-1) cannot compare to the Alessandro MS-2's or Grado SR-325i then I don't think I will go for it (reguardless if its a collectors item or special edition.)

I will keep watching for more impressions, and hopefully soon some pics!!!!!

Does anybody know where one can audition the Grado RS-1 at a speciality store in the Dallas TX area???????

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 20
rab10, Im in the same boat right now. I'll be upgrading from my trusty A900's. I've just ordered the HF-1, but I think Im gonna cancel that and go ahead on getting the 325i. I dont know what it is, but the 325i is very appealing to me. must be the gold color, or the rounded edges, but all I know is, I just gotta have it
tongue.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 20
I understand upgrading, but isnt the grado completely different from the technica line?

Grados are known as upfront cans with small apparent soundstage
and AT's known as inbetween grado/senn with large soundstage.
With a smooth but powerful sound. The japanese sound signature and the American sound signature also differ.

Isn't this a side_upgrade? Please tell me what you heard about these cans that turns you.

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vkamicht
Keep in mind that although the 325i and MS-2i are technical upgrades to the 225, some people still prefer the sound of the 225~

I have searched on this before and a lot of people prefer the Alessandro
MS-2i's better for the more natural sound, better clearer wider
soundstage, etc. VKamicht, do you have a weblink to the thread where
the 225 is preferred????

Bleed, the 325i seems very appealing to me also!
biggrin.gif
But the Alessandro
MS-2i's, Grado RS-1, or Senn 650, or Beyerdynamic DT880 are keeping me from committing to any purchase right now.
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 20
May be you can tell us why you want to upgrade A900 so that we can give you more useful advise. Is there something you don't like about A900?

To my ears, Sony MDR-SA5K or AT W1K do offer significant upgrade over A900 while overall sonic signatures are not too far off from A900. Although I love my Grado, jumping on to HF-1 may not be a good idea until you get to hear one for yourself.

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 20
there are threads regarding ppl prefering the sr225 over the 325(i), there are even people who prefers the sr60 over them! they are scattered around the forum though. I own two out of four of the phones that are keeping you from committing to any purchase right now
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Sword
I understand upgrading, but isnt the grado completely different from the technica line?

Grados are known as upfront cans with small apparent soundstage
and AT's known as inbetween grado/senn with large soundstage.
With a smooth but powerful sound. The japanese sound signature and the American sound signature also differ.

Isn't this a side_upgrade? Please tell me what you heard about these cans that turns you.

I am still enjoying my A900's immensely (I love the wide soundstage, the clear highs, and the boomy bass.) However, sometimes I do wish vocals were clearer and sometimes I max my Treble boost when listening with my A900's.

Thus the upgrade to Grados, Reviewed for: Beautiful Vocal Resolution, Excellent Mid's Resolution, Upfront presentation, agressive with Rock Music, and the glorious Bass Impact Resolution. (I should really attend a meet to preview the high end Headphones: Grado RS-1, Senn 650, Beyerdynamic DT880's that I am most interested in and can afford.)

Thanks for all of your impressions, please continue, would it really be a "side_upgrade?"

Thanks!

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vkamicht
Keep in mind that although the 325i and MS-2i are technical upgrades to the 225, some people still prefer the sound of the 225~

I'm just gonna have to accept a downgrado this time around...can't...pass...this...up!

-Matt

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
To my ears, Sony MDR-SA5K or AT W1K do offer significant upgrade over A900 while overall sonic signatures are not too far off from A900.

Thanks Go_Vtec for your advice. I was also interested in the Sony
MDR-SA5K or AT W1K, but at their price range (and availability) the
Alessandro MS-2s, and/or Beyerdynamic DT880, and even the expensive
Grado RS-1 seems like a better purchase. (I could be wrong, please post
your further impressions.)

The Senns 650's seem great also, but without the very expensive Cardas Upgrade Cable I don't think the Senns 650 would be the sound I am interested in (some have said that the Senns 650's have the Senns warmish sound?)

Attending a meet would be great for me in helping me to decide which headphones would best suit my needs. Unfortunately I have not had the time
to attend one yet (and saving up for my next headphones.)

Thanks Everybody! Still undecided.
confused.gif

Sep 12, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I'm just gonna have to accept a downgrado this time around...can't...pass...this...up! -Matt

Matt. "Alessandro MS-2i. MS-2i are the last pair of headphones I will ever buy. I PROMISE!"
icon10.gif
Are you Upgrado -ing to the RS-1's? Or taking the plunge with the Grado Head-Fi 1 (HF-1)? I would also be using my new headphones with my SMv3 headphone amp.

Thanks!

Sep 12, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
I am still enjoying my A900's immensely (I love the wide soundstage, the clear highs, and the boomy bass.) However, sometimes I do wish vocals were clearer and sometimes I max my Treble boost when listening with my A900's.

If what you say above is true, Sennheiser HD-650 may not work out well for you. Even with the cable upgrade, Senn will sound recessed compare to Audio Technica phones. Grado may be just the one you are looking for; it has more aggressive and upfront presentation than Audio Technica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back