Upgrading from ATH-A700
Mar 9, 2009 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Wankerfx

Head-Fier
Hey all, this is my first time posting here! I know you guys probably get a load of these threads, so I'll keep it brief.

Anyway, I'm currently looking to get an upgrade from the ATH-A700's - they sound great and are comfortable, but I want to try something else. I listen mostly to electronic music, and some rap/rock. I also have a PA2V2 amp if that matters in the choice of headphones.

I'm looking to spend no more than $200.00 USD - I was thinking of testing out some AKGs or Grados cans, but I'm pretty much up for anything you guys suggest.

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 6
I upgraded/sidegraded from A500s to K271s and I slightly preferred the A500s when modded. I'd go with Ultrasones for those genres under $200. AKGs won't really be that good for your preferred music genres and Grados are probably not good for electronic and most likely rap.

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 6
Well, I don't have personal experience, but fwir it would be an improvement. I'd check ebay. Once I saw a pair of HD600s for $100 BIN. I should've gotten them.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 6
I have no experience with PA2V2, but a set of Sennheisers (HD650/600/580) are always a nice investment, as they scale so well. You could pick a used HD600 in you range, or a used HD580 (extremely similar from what ive read) in the 130-200$ range.

That being said, it doesnt sound like the HDs would be the best fit for your music preferences. The have great bass, but are very laid back and relaxed, or 'organic'. I have heard good things with the SA5000s with electronica if you can find a used one in our FS (for sale) forum.

You may want to look into the Beyerdynamic DT880 and DT990 as good upgrades for the ATs. Seach them and see what you find.

200$ is a tricky pricerange for a huge upgrade from the 100$ priced headphones. Theres a bit of a gap between 100$ and ~300$(and up) phones where you begin to notice significant differences.

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks, I'll have to save a few more dollars and then look into the Beyerdynamic stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchess of York /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no experience with PA2V2, but a set of Sennheisers (HD650/600/580) are always a nice investment, as they scale so well. You could pick a used HD600 in you range, or a used HD580 (extremely similar from what ive read) in the 130-200$ range.

That being said, it doesnt sound like the HDs would be the best fit for your music preferences. The have great bass, but are very laid back and relaxed, or 'organic'. I have heard good things with the SA5000s with electronica if you can find a used one in our FS (for sale) forum.

You may want to look into the Beyerdynamic DT880 and DT990 as good upgrades for the ATs. Seach them and see what you find.

200$ is a tricky pricerange for a huge upgrade from the 100$ priced headphones. Theres a bit of a gap between 100$ and ~300$(and up) phones where you begin to notice significant differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back