Upgrading from Ananda to ZMF...
Feb 1, 2021 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bacon_N_Cheese

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I very recently got a pair of Hifiman Ananda and really love them, especially their sound signature.

However, I do have the upgrade bug and was thinking of getting the ZMF Aeolus or Auteur. If I get an upgrade, I'd prefer something different in sound signature than the Anandas so that my Anandas can still fill a role rather than being redundant. I'm looking for a soung signature that is similar to the Ananda but warmer, with a more full-bodied sound in the lows and mids. Something that feels rich while still having clarity and image separation. Are the Aeolus or Auteurs the right way to go, or should I look elsewhere?A part of my heart tells me to get the ZMFs, and another tells me to be satisfied with the Anandas and stop chasing the dragon.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm looking for a soung signature that is similar to the Ananda but warmer, with a more full-bodied sound in the lows and mids. Something that feels rich while still having clarity and image separation.
I'd suggest either the Aeolus or the Atticus over the Auteur, though I think the Auteur is the better headphone of the three. I say this because the Auteur has a more mature, neutral sound than the other two, has more separation, air, more energy in the upper mids, more sub bass, whereas the Atticus and Aeolus is darker, warmer, more bass heavy in the midbass.

The Aeolus has wider staging than the Atticus, but neither are going to wow you in the staging dept.

One thing you may want to consider is how do you plan on amping your new ZMF?
ZMFs do their best with a good OTL amp, which wont really work well with your Ananda.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 4
I'd suggest either the Aeolus or the Atticus over the Auteur, though I think the Auteur is the better headphone of the three. I say this because the Auteur has a more mature, neutral sound than the other two, has more separation, air, more energy in the upper mids, more sub bass, whereas the Atticus and Aeolus is darker, warmer, more bass heavy in the midbass.

The Aeolus has wider staging than the Atticus, but neither are going to wow you in the staging dept.

One thing you may want to consider is how do you plan on amping your new ZMF?
ZMFs do their best with a good OTL amp, which wont really work well with your Ananda.

I only have the JDS O2/Odac Combo Rev B. Would that work fine to get the most out of the ZMF? I am really not looking to upgrade my amp anytime soon at all.

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 4
Since Ive never owned nor heard the JDS I cant comment. My suggestion is to ask in the various ZMF threads. You cant be the first member who wants to drive a ZMF with your amp/DAC combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back