Upgrading from Alessandro MS-1
Oct 10, 2008 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

afton

100+ Head-Fier
I've got my MS-1 for about a year now and it is a great headphone,
however the jack has now gone broken (sort of half working).

What's would be a good step up from MS-1? (budget <=US$300)
Is MS-2 any good?

FYI I mostly listen to rock and hip hop music (U2, Powderfinger,
REM, Black Eyed Peas) and watching movies - unamplified -
on my MacBook Pro laptop.

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 10
d2000 is a great headphone for hip hop and rock if you don't mind a bit more bass. =)

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 10
I've heard that the MS2 can be a fatiguing headphone for long periods of listening. I'm not sure why, maybe there's too much empahasis on treble or something.

I've also heard that for short bursts the MS2 is a very fun headphone, so I'm considering getting them for short and sweet listening sessions.

Oct 10, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 10
if you want the same kind of sound but better, you can step up the grado/allessandro ladder.
ms2i is supposed to be like the grado sr-325i and the grado is a great can.
of course you can also try to fix the ms1 (at some local electronics shop?) and try something different. take a look at the hd595, especially for watching movies.

Oct 10, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 10
Keep the MS1 for Rock & repair it, and get a DT770'2005 for Hiphop. Nice couple.

A D2000 would work as well, not as perfect as the Beyer for hiphop, but greater musical bandwidth.

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 10
I've had my MS2i for quite a while now and couldn't be happier with them. Right after I moved up to a pair; I did a fourteen hour listening marathon revisiting all my favorite CDs. Nope; no comfort issues that I can see! I get fatigued just as quickly while wearing my HD600. They are a bit heavier of course, and some do folks find that to be a problem.

....I had to modify my Head Bobbing to be more side-to-side!

Yup; they're like the SR-325i but with a smoother high end. No fatiguing highs that I can find. What I find is that the highs extend higher than the MS-1 giving the impression of "more" highs. The highs aren't necessarily at a higher db than the MS-1, there's just more of 'em. Pretty much the same with the bass. The bass seems to extend a little lower and is more articulated, but there isn't actually "more" bass. So if you like the bass of the MS-1; you'll really like the MS2i.

Oct 10, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 10
F107, I doubt that hiphop is a pleasant experience with a MS2...it may sound great with Nancy Sinatra, but...

Oct 10, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
F107, I doubt that hiphop is a pleasant experience with a MS2...it may sound great with Nancy Sinatra, but...

Yup; that's why I mentioned that the bass of the MS2i is just like the MS-1 but just a bit more extended....not more, just a little better!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back