Upgrading from AKG712 Pro to ??? for movies only
Apr 10, 2018 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

MichaelJames99

100+ Head-Fier
So I have had the AKG712 Pros for 3 years now. I have the Smyth A16 on order and wondering what would be a good upgrade. This is for movies only. Would the HD800, HD800s or STAX (not sure which models are best for movies) or other suggestions?

For amp, I have the Musical Fidelity XCAN v2 (no mods were done). Any suggestions on a different amp is also very welcome!

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 30
For many,including myself headphones with good bass slam is preferred for movies.Your options are all pretty much on the weak side of bass.Any reason?

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 30
Which headphones would you suggest with a large soundstage and strong slamming bass?

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 30
The obvious suggestion would be the Philips Fidelio X2.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 30
If you had $200 to 1500 to spend on headphones, which one would you pick for movies? Would it still be the X2?

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 30
Well....

I personally have a tough time justifying 4 digits for a headphone that does movie only duty.If youre willing to drop a ton on such a headphone thats up to you.
I suggested the X2 because:

It has a wide soundstage
It was +bass for action films
Its easy to drive
Its comfortable for several hours

There might be other headphones that are better at some of the above,but then fall short in others.The LCD-2 for example isnt as comfortable,has a narrow soundstage,requires an amp,but has better quality bass.
HD800 has better detail and soundstage,but less bass and needs an amp...so its a tradeoff.

For me the X2 checks all the boxes.

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 30
Has the X2 changed over time? For example, Im seeing it for $480... its called Philips X2/X27 Fidelio Premium. Some have it for $380.
I think it was released in 2014 as the X2? Is there a difference between when it first was released to now? Are there variations of it? What is the X27 part?

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 30
I have not heard the new X2/27,but have read they sound almost identical to the X2,which was very similar sounding to the X1,which I still own.
You might want to research that the sound is close to X2 to verify.

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 30
If you like the K712, the Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) should work very well as it's similar in terms of balance (neutralish yet slightly warm and not extremely analytical)

Key points between T1 (2nd Generation) and K712 PRO:
- Similarly powerful bass but higher level of control on the T1 (2nd Generation), tighter, less midrange bleed.
- More resolving power on the T1 (2nd Generation) - the biggest difference - the sound is more vibrant and textured
- More padded headband on the T1 (2nd Generation)

Check the Beyer DT1990PRO and Amiron Home for good alternatives that aren't as expensive and the T1 (2nd Gen)
The Amiron should be more laid back/relaxed.

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 30
If you like the K712, the Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) should work very well as it's similar in terms of balance (neutralish yet slightly warm and not extremely analytical)

Key points between T1 (2nd Generation) and K712 PRO:
- Similarly powerful bass but higher level of control on the T1 (2nd Generation), tighter, less midrange bleed.
- More resolving power on the T1 (2nd Generation) - the biggest difference - the sound is more vibrant and textured
- More padded headband on the T1 (2nd Generation)

Check the Beyer DT1990PRO and Amiron Home for good alternatives that aren't as expensive and the T1 (2nd Gen)
The Amiron should be more laid back/relaxed.
Calling the 712 and T1's bass as powerful is something of an overstatement. I think the x2 is a good recommend, but it's kind of heavy for extended listening, at least for me. I'd maybe recommend the Hifiman Sundara. I didn't get a chance to really inspect the bass, but it was light, and sounded incredible from what little I did get to play with it.

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #11 of 30
Has anyone heard the Hifiman Sundara for bass? . For movies, my understanding is that the following areas are important: Large Soundstage, detailed vocals, quick response, strong bass for LFE.

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 30
Has anyone heard the Hifiman Sundara for bass? . For movies, my understanding is that the following areas are important: Large Soundstage, detailed vocals, quick response, strong bass for LFE.

I have not heard it,but I would highly recommend reading the Sundara thread...seems the legendary HiFiMan quality control issues have not gone away.
I personally love HiFiMan headphones for their sound,but i will not buy another until they address the crappy build quality.

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 30
Calling the 712 and T1's bass as powerful is something of an overstatement. I think the x2 is a good recommend, but it's kind of heavy for extended listening, at least for me. I'd maybe recommend the Hifiman Sundara. I didn't get a chance to really inspect the bass, but it was light, and sounded incredible from what little I did get to play with it.

It's a comparative statement.
In other words, the bass is similar in terms of overall quantity in the headphones I've mentioned.

I can't recommend the Fidelios over the K712 unless BIG bass is all that matters.
The AKG is a higher fidelity heaphone.

Apr 12, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 30
the x2 has big but sloppy bass and is overall colored headphone, low fidelity to, i will suggest some good planars if you have money to spend, other good suggestion is the Bayer t1 but you will have to bump the sub bass a little bit, they have crazy precise imaging and good soundstage

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 30
the x2 has big but sloppy bass and is overall colored headphone, low fidelity to, i will suggest some good planars if you have money to spend, other good suggestion is the Bayer t1 but you will have to bump the sub bass a little bit, they have crazy precise imaging and good soundstage
I wouldn't call the X2s bass sloppy. And comparing it with a headphone that's, what, 300% the price? :thinking:
Remember, the purpose of these is for movie watching. That's like buying a Lotus Elise to go grocery shopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back