Upgrading from AKG K271 > Vocals (!)
Jun 7, 2009 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

umbalito

New Head-Fier
Well, I got the AKG K271 Mk II largely on the strength of reviews out here.

I wanted a can that could do vocals well, and the K271 was one of those that have been consistently suggested out here and is various reviews as well.

Though for the most part, I'm pretty happy with them, I just find the sound a bit 'veiled' and I just don't get those great vocals that I'm looking for.

So I'm looking for a bit of an upgrade - right now I'm looking at:

1. Grado SR-325is (maybe I do want a bright can) - thought about the RS-2, but I doubt I can stretch my budget that much. The 325is already cost about US $500 where I'm from.

2. AKG K701 (the K701's soundstage would be very welcome, I just don't know about how much an improvement vocals would be over the K271?)

3. beyer DT880 (good reviews, a touch of brightness as well, maybe just what I need?)

Any thoughts?

I have an Audio-gd C2C to drive them. Most important for me are vocals - maybe 70% female vocals. From rock (Within Temptation etc..) to the more intimate kind (Sarah McLachlan, Hayley Westenra) to Tina Dico, Susan Wong etc.. some U2 there, Journey, Eagles etc..

Thanks!!
L3000.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 4
Things to look into:
1) Source
2) Switch to velour pads
3) Aftermarket cable (Zu Mobius)
4) Silver or SPC IC

If upgrading, go straight for ATH-W5000 or ATH-AD2000, everything else in the list has weaker midrange.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 4
I think I bought my SR-225 right around the time I sold my K271S, and even though the mids were nice with the AKGs, I was pretty much blown away with the Grados in comparison. I don't know if the SR-325i really has a leg up on the SR-225(i), but I'm certainly happy with the vocals, both male and female, the way I'm hearing them with the SR-225.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back