Upgrading from a phone and a dongle dac...
Mar 2, 2024 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

onlysleeping1

New Head-Fier
Hi Folks, I usually use a cheap android phone and iBasso DC05 along with some Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X headphones playing local files (mp3) and Tidal through USB Audio Player Pro. It's a modest setup but I really like the sound using some eq from the USB APP app.

However, the USB C connector on my phone has become unstable, so I'd like to replace it for another device, possibly a DAP. I'd like the smaller form factor, and to lose the (slight) inconvenience of the dongle.

I've looked at both the Hiby M300 and the Hiby R6 iii, on the understanding that I'd be able to use USB APP - but with the headphone jack - on both. Would I be able to expect an increase in sound quality? Is there another DAC between the price points of the two I mentioned that I should consider? Thanks!

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi Folks, I usually use a cheap android phone and iBasso DC05 along with some Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X headphones playing local files (mp3) and Tidal through USB Audio Player Pro. It's a modest setup but I really like the sound using some eq from the USB APP app.

However, the USB C connector on my phone has become unstable, so I'd like to replace it for another device, possibly a DAP. I'd like the smaller form factor, and to lose the (slight) inconvenience of the dongle.

I've looked at both the Hiby M300 and the Hiby R6 iii, on the understanding that I'd be able to use USB APP - but with the headphone jack - on both. Would I be able to expect an increase in sound quality? Is there another DAC between the price points of the two I mentioned that I should consider? Thanks!
OK, this is probably just my personal preference, but I've owned like 4-5 HiBy DAPs and they've all been bad. The sound is good, but the software is terrible - crashes, resets, etc. My recommendation would be the Shanling M3U - only issue I had with that was a dead pixel on the screen - great battery, etc. The M6U will get you better sound, but you'll lose battery and it's bigger/heavier. Fiio makes some good DAPs too if you can find one that matches your size req. Cayin is awesome, but they don't make a small/cheap player. Hope that helps - M3 Ultra is very good.

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd ask someone for an old phone and just use that as a DAP with the apps you already like. Almost any phone will do as a player if just the USB port is broken. I've had high end DAPs and a separate device to keep charged is so much hassle I never used it. Carrying it and a phone was too much. I went with a phone with a 5,000ma battery so it can power up a Tanchjim Space and go for a day or two between charges.

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 5
I was trying to avoid going down the phone route - I know it's cheaper, but I've somehow gone through 2 cheap phones in the last year or so (both broken usb c ports) so am a bit reluctant to keep trying the same.

The Tidal app isn't too big an issue, I usually stream via USB APP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back