Upgrading from a Grado SR60e
Oct 16, 2016 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Luc33

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've had the Grado SR60 for 5 years and it's time for an upgrade. I absolutely love their sound and would like something that resembles it to some degree. I've actually had the ATH-M50 for a few months and despite all the good things I was reading I still preferred the Grados over them. 

I'm looking for something with a warm sound and lots of bass. Sound leakage is not a big concern. I'll use it mainly with my laptop and FiiO X3 to listen to a variety of music genres but especially bass-heavy electronic and hip-hop. 

I wouldn't like to spend more than U$ 250. I'm looking at the SR225e but would also like to try something new. Any recommendations are highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 11
Interesting that you like Grados w/ bass heavy music,as theyre usually preferred by metalheads,like myself....

I have an Alessandro Ms2e for sale for 200.00 that would fit your bill nicely...its essentially a Grado 325e with slightly different tuning....message me if youre interested.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 11
  Interesting that you like Grados w/ bass heavy music,as theyre usually preferred by metalheads,like myself....

I have an Alessandro Ms2e for sale for 200.00 that would fit your bill nicely...its essentially a Grado 325e with slightly different tuning....message me if youre interested.

To be honest, the Grados are the only high-quality headphones I've heard (apart from the ATH-M50) so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I think its bass is really good. I'll have a look into the Alessandro, thanks!
More recommendations are definitely welcome 

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 11
Check out the Philips SHP9500:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476747710&sr=8-1&keywords=shp9500

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 11
What about the Fillips Fidelio X2?

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 11
I've had the Grado SR60 for 5 years and it's time for an upgrade. I absolutely love their sound and would like something that resembles it to some degree. I've actually had the ATH-M50 for a few months and despite all the good things I was reading I still preferred the Grados over them. 

I'm looking for something with a warm sound and lots of bass. Sound leakage is not a big concern. I'll use it mainly with my laptop and FiiO X3 to listen to a variety of music genres but especially bass-heavy electronic and hip-hop. 

I wouldn't like to spend more than U$ 250. I'm looking at the SR225e but would also like to try something new. Any recommendations are highly appreciated!

Instead of the incremental upgrade to the SR225 I say save up and get the RS2 or better, the RS1. Buy used if you can find either of the i-series well below the price of brand new e-versions.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 11
If you want something new maybe HE-400S can be found used for your price and with Focus A pads have pretty good bass.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. After some more reading, I decided to go for something different than Grado. I'm still looking for something with some "personality" and on the warmer spectrum (which is what the ATH-M50 were not, IMO. They sounded kind of flat and neutral, and I probably failed to EQ them properly). I think I'm gonna go for either of the Sennheiser HD 600 or the HiFiMAN HE400S .

A question regarding amps: would these be enough to drive them?

- Macbook, no amp
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 DAC
- FiiO X3
- FiiO E5 (small amp)

Thanks a lot! 

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. After some more reading, I decided to go for something different than Grado. I'm still looking for something with some "personality" and on the warmer spectrum (which is what the ATH-M50 were not, IMO. They sounded kind of flat and neutral, and I probably failed to EQ them properly). I think I'm gonna go for either of the Sennheiser HD 600 or the HiFiMAN HE400S .

A question regarding amps: would these be enough to drive them?

- Macbook, no amp
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 DAC
- FiiO X3
- FiiO E5 (small amp)

Macbook and E5 probably can get loud enough but don't expect either to be spectacular on these.

The X3 would probably do well enough but again you could just save up and just get a Vali2 and Modi2.

Scarlett 2i2 would work well enough with the HD600, but don't expect anything spectacular as it doesn't have much clean power at high impedance. I wouldn't bet on it doing well with the HE400S though - the output impedance is too high for that headphone so it might EQ the response (although otherwise the sensitivity of the HE400S is better than the HE400(i).

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 11

Macbook and E5 probably can get loud enough but don't expect either to be spectacular on these.

The X3 would probably do well enough but again you could just save up and just get a Vali2 and Modi2.

Scarlett 2i2 would work well enough with the HD600, but don't expect anything spectacular as it doesn't have much clean power at high impedance. I wouldn't bet on it doing well with the HE400S though - the output impedance is too high for that headphone so it might EQ the response (although otherwise the sensitivity of the HE400S is better than the HE400(i).

Hi, thanks a lot for the info.

I actually own these products and I'm not really planning on buying anything else. I will do some more research, but if they're not enough for either of these 2 headphones, unfortunately it might be a deal-breaker for me. 

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 11

I actually own these products and I'm not really planning on buying anything else. I will do some more research, but if they're not enough for either of these 2 headphones, unfortunately it might be a deal-breaker for me. 

I'd much rather save up and get the Beyer T90 or T70. At 250ohms/300ohms but with even higher sensitivity than the HD600 you'll have less to worry about on the amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back