upgrading for college - which route?
Jun 4, 2007 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TheChemist

100+ Head-Fier
I'll be headed to college in the fall, and sometime over the summer I'd like to upgrade my headphone set up. What I need to decide is which route to take. Currently I do most of my listening through my iPod and UM1s (I do almost all of my listening about the house and anything other than a portable setup is annoying at the moment).

I'll be buying a portable amp in the 100 dollar range, thats for sure, as well as 150-200 for a headphone upgrade. What I can't decide is whether to sell the UM1s and move up the IEM ladder, or keep the UM1s and add a closed headphone for use around the dorm and library. Having an IEM is necessary to me, since I do a LOT of portable listening.

Right now I'm leaning towards going for the UM2 (I love my UM1s) or something along those lines, but I need convincing eitherway. As far as closed headphones, I was thinking about the A900 or D1000.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Jun 4, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 8
Well the answer to your question depends a bit on your listening preferences. If you're only carrying around UM2s because of their portability though and in reality think they get a bit uncomfortable after a bit, then you should probably compliment them with some over ear headphones. Also, there tends to be a different sound experience between over ear headphones and IEMs. If you've adjusted to the way the IEMs sound and find yourself quite fond of them, you'd probably do yourself a favor by just upgrading those and putting off a over ear purchase. This is especially so since you probably won't make another purchase for a while and you've said that you do a LOT of portable listening. No point putting your upgrade cash to anything other than the best use. Anywho, if you do decide on upgrading to the UM2s, I've got a pair I'd sell at 220 shipped.

hopes this helps,
PhantmShado

Jun 4, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 8
If you like the UM1s as they are, then definitely aim for the UM2s. And for the amp, aim for a Tomahawk >:3

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 8
Personally, if I had IEMs and were going to the library, I wouldn't want to lug around big headphones like the A900s.

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meloncoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the UM1s as they are, then definitely aim for the UM2s. And for the amp, aim for a Tomahawk >:3

im afraid not. 100 is all i can really spend on the amp. cameras are more important.
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 8
Go for closed headphones. I've got iem and had to retire them for use in library only. With iem on walking around campus, I can't hear a thing, including friends saying Hi and what not. Then if you spot a friend, it's a hassle to take them in and out while making small talk. Closed headphones can be taken on and off faster and don't block out as much sounds, allowing you to be a more social person. It's obvious, it's college. Music is great, but you don't want to miss out on the experience.

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 8
I rely on ew9 (best clip-on money can buy) + T2 for my portable enjoyment. I recommend against big headphones because they do not make you look sociable at all (unless you only use them in your dorm-room).
With ew9 I can hear everything around me, while the music is basically integrated into the environment, so I can easily acknowledge everyone around me, while with IEMs I could not hear anyone say anything to me (as noted by those people who were yelling 'heeeeeeeeeeeey' at me).

Otherwise, for a headphone to use in dorms, shoot for something closed, noise of others is mildly annoying =] A900, D1000/D2000, k240m/k240s, RP-21, dt770 would all be a good idea. You do not need alot of isolation, you just need muffling of the voices so they are not bothersome. For an amp you can shoot for the used forums and grab something stationary as opposed to portable since on the go amplification can end up very impractical on campus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back