upgrading dac-1 amp...
Nov 12, 2006 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hello

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own a recent version of the benchmark dac-1 and the hd-650, and was wondering whether its worthwhile for me to upgrade to a stand alone amp.

I've mostly been using the dac-1 amp with stock cable. For a few months, I listened exclusively via a balanced headphile senn cable directly connected to the dac-1's xlr outputs. It had a little something 'extra' as compared to the front headphone jack. But ultimately, after switching back to the front headphone jack, to me, the front headphone jack is easily better sounding overall.

Right now I'm looking at the graham slee solo or rudistor nx-33, but also thinking of ps-audio gcha or headamp gs-1.

Is the difference between the dac-1 amp and a stand alone amp, like one of the above, a huge difference? Is it easily noticeable?

I'm also interested in comparisons between the solo and nx-33 -- since if I do get an amp, it will most likely be one of these two. I probably would have jumped on the nx-33, since it is balanced, but my experience driving the hd-650's directly out of the dac-1 xlr's has given me pause for thought. I don't know if this is because balanced drive is not all that it's cracked up to be, or because I needed a proper balanced amp.

My music preferences are classical, with some occasional rock.

Thanks.

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 7
hi
i dont' really consider the GS-1 to be a good synergetic match up witht he Dac one and the HD650... considering it's sound sig, something like the Eddie current HD30 or the Meier HAII MKII SE might be a better bet.

overall, i think it would be better to upgrade the headamp. where you go from there depends alot on your preferences... you could stay balenced and go for the rudistore or a dynamight or a GSX as well.

Nov 13, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 7
Going balanced with the HD650 makes an appreciable difference, so if your budget allows, you should definitely look into the NX-33.

Cheaper alternatives that you might be interested in are the X-Can 3, Dot Little III, and other tube amps that pair well with the HD650 and DAC1.

I find the XLR outputs of the DAC1 to make cans sound more spacious but allow introduces grain, distortion, and less focuses imaging. A quality, true balanced headphone amp will fix those problems and dramatically improve over the DAC1's headphone amp, which I actually think is quite good for the price, especially when no interconnects are needed.

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the input guys.

I'd like to stay away from tubes, due to warm-up issues, longevity of the tubes, etc. I'm looking for fast, detailed, accurate sound. I'm not really looking to change the sound signature, just to get more soundstage, detail, realism, etc.

Applebook, your experiences with the xlr outputs mirror mine. That makes the nx-33 more attractive, if it is going to cure all those problems. Still, a single ended amp has the benefit that if I try another headphone (which is not balanced), I can get full use out of the amp.

Jan 6, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hello /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input guys.

I'd like to stay away from tubes, due to warm-up issues, longevity of the tubes, etc. I'm looking for fast, detailed, accurate sound. I'm not really looking to change the sound signature, just to get more soundstage, detail, realism, etc.

Applebook, your experiences with the xlr outputs mirror mine. That makes the nx-33 more attractive, if it is going to cure all those problems. Still, a single ended amp has the benefit that if I try another headphone (which is not balanced), I can get full use out of the amp.

Hello, Which balanced amp did you decide to pair with your DAC1? I've read quite a few times that the DAC1 is a bit on the grainy side.

Quote:

I've mostly been using the dac-1 amp with stock cable. For a few months, I listened exclusively via a balanced headphile senn cable directly connected to the dac-1's xlr outputs. It had a little something 'extra' as compared to the front headphone jack. But ultimately, after switching back to the front headphone jack, to me, the front headphone jack is easily better sounding overall.

I have almost the same set-up in mind; did you ever decide to go balanced?

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #6 of 7
I haven't bought an amp yet - still using (and enjoying) the internal amp on the dac-1. I've pretty much decided on the nx-33 -- I am just waiting to make sure this is the amp that I really want, and that I really think any amp is worth this amount of money.

Interestingly enough, considering the overflowing praise the rudistor rpx-33 has been getting recently, I asked Rudi which amp -- the nx-33 or the rpx-33 -- was better for the senn hd-650 and the dac-1. Rudi said the nx-33 would be the better choice since the hd-650 benefit so greatly in being driven balanced.

Jan 8, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

I haven't bought an amp yet - still using (and enjoying) the internal amp on the dac-1. I've pretty much decided on the nx-33 -- I am just waiting to make sure this is the amp that I really want, and that I really think any amp is worth this amount of money.

Interestingly enough, considering the overflowing praise the rudistor rpx-33 has been getting recently, I asked Rudi which amp -- the nx-33 or the rpx-33 -- was better for the senn hd-650 and the dac-1. Rudi said the nx-33 would be the better choice since the hd-650 benefit so greatly in being driven balanced.

I'm strongly considering ordering a DAC1 modded, to pair with a balanced amp. And while the Rudistor's have been receiving lots of attention, I'm still on the fence undecided. HeadAmp, Head Room and to an extent, Jan Meier although not "balanced", have offerings on the market or currently in the works. It's an understatement to say, but right now it's really tough to make a decision; however, I don't think you could go terribly wrong in any case. Rudi's NX-33 definately looks the part, I wish that I could listen to and audition them first, that would help seal the deal.

Well, in any case good luck making a decision and keep us posted on the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back