Upgrading closes cans, help?
Aug 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kharion

New Head-Fier
Currently I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 380 pros, and am looking to upgrade to a nicer pair of closed back cans. The Senn's sound GREAT dont get me wrong, but they lack the sparkle on the high end (which I want), and a bit of definition in the low end. I want flat! I was thinking the Denon AH-D600s looked great. They seem extremely comfortable, and also have a very large ear cup, which I need! Should I go with the D600? Or is there something else anyone would recommend?

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm looking at getting the PSB M4U 1s, but as I have not yet heard them myself, I can't give a strong recommendation. I can, however, help you get better answers. (However, I will say I recently auditioned (for about 6 minutes) the AH-D600s. I was not a fan.)

Anyone looking to give you the right answer will want to know some additional details:
1) What are your headphones plugged into? A computer? ipod? dedicated headphone amp?
2) What are your music tastes? Do you listen to more acoustic music? Rock? Electronic?
3) Where are you going to use these headphones? Will they stay in one room, or will you take them outside? In a car? bus?

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Currently I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 380 pros, and am looking to upgrade to a nicer pair of closed back cans. The Senn's sound GREAT dont get me wrong, but they lack the sparkle on the high end (which I want), and a bit of definition in the low end. I want flat! I was thinking the Denon AH-D600s looked great. They seem extremely comfortable, and also have a very large ear cup, which I need! Should I go with the D600? Or is there something else anyone would recommend?

As the AH-D600s are only 25-Ohm, you might want to use them with a headphone amplifier with a headphone output impedance of 2.5-ohm or less.
What source(s) are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for you replies everyone! These will mainly be listened to on an iPod, I could purchase a FiiO if needed. I listen to lots of different genres of music, mainly hip hop, electronic, jazz. I do want flat although. They will go with me everywhere. I do not care about size. Detachable wire is a must.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Thanks for you replies everyone! These will mainly be listened to on an iPod, I could purchase a FiiO if needed. I listen to lots of different genres of music, mainly hip hop, electronic, jazz. I do want flat although. They will go with me everywhere. I do not care about size. Detachable wire is a must.

I would guess(?) your iPod has at least a decently low output impedance headphone jack.
Could not really say how much you would have to spend on a headphone amplifier to clearly up the audio quality.
I would say you would not want a headphone amplifier any cheaper then the Fiio E11.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 11
I would guess(?) your iPod has at least a decently low output impedance headphone jack.
Could not really say how much you would have to spend on a headphone amplifier to clearly up the audio quality.
I would say you would not want a headphone amplifier any cheaper then the Fiio E11.

I don't even need to turn my HD380s all the way up at an impedence of 54ohms. If I were to get an amp I'd get the e7.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 11
What review says the kef is mediocre?! The kef is better than IMO tons of other closed cans like:
K550
A900X
DT770
Momentum
MDR 1R
Fidelio L1
ATH WS99
Focal Spirit One
PSB M4U
Grrrar!

Look at this review
http://www.head-fi.org/t/670675/kef-m500-one-of-the-most-natural-sound-headphone-only-real-music-never-tired/0_50

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 11
What review says the kef is mediocre?! The kef is better than IMO tons of other closed cans like:
K550
A900X
DT770
Momentum
MDR 1R
Fidelio L1
ATH WS99
Focal Spirit One
PSB M4U
Grrrar!

Look at this review
http://www.head-fi.org/t/670675/kef-m500-one-of-the-most-natural-sound-headphone-only-real-music-never-tired/0_50

Ah, I read two that said the momentums were better, and that being said, I don't really like the momentums much, so that killed the idea for me.
Now considering these Kefs... I have never liked an on ear headphone, nor have I ever liked that sort of flat headphone pad. Are they really that comfortable? Would these word well with non-acoustic music? I listen to mainly synthetic hip-hop, electronic, bass heavy things. Are these lacking in bass? Sound isolation is also very important. Also, do they stay on? I longboard and jog and such with my headphones. Let me know. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back