Upgrades suggestion from HD280 PRO
Jan 5, 2016 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

norepeat

New Head-Fier
Sennheiser HD280 PRO is my favorite headphone.  By no mean that I feel HD280 is perfect.  I need some help in finding my next headphone--- an upgrade from HD280 PRO:

What do I listen to:
vocals, modern/classic rock/pop, Japanese/Asian pop, classical, alternative
Currently listen from Denon 4520CI, Realtekac1150+amp.  Plan to get either Fiio X5, Ibasso D80 or OPPO HA2

What I like about HD280 PRO:
-Sound isolation
-Just enough bass, loose but detail bass
-Forward mids
-overall balance between bass, mid and high (not perfect but better than many other headphone I tried)

What I don't like about HD280 PRO:
-Comfort: hurts my head after a brief 30mins
-Earpad rubbing my glasses making loud noises
-Coiled cord and not detachable/replaceable.  Also cord makes noise when rubbed against clothing.
-Cold sounding voice (female most obvious and some male vocal as well)

Requirements:
<$500.
<100 Ohms
Closed with good isolation like HD280Pro
Balanced sound: not V shaped
Comfort

Possible sound improvements from HD280 Pro:
Improve on the cold sounding vocal on HD280 Pro
A little more treble @4KHz
A tiny little more vocal body @ 200Hz
Tighter bass
detail/clearity/clean
3D/Air

I have tried the following headphones and here is what I think and arranged from most like to least like:

HD280PRO: (most like) not perfect, cool/cold vocal, uncomfortable, slight muffled high, can benefit with a little more body (200Hz)
M50x: (Good)-clear, detail sound    (Bad)- v-shaped sound signature which I don't like, too much "ssssss", recessed mid, a bit too strong on muddy bass
Momentum M2: (Good)-vocal not colored, very comfortable (Bad)-lack of 3D, recessed treble, a bit too strong on bass
Monoprice: (Good)-once EQ sounds really good but require lots of EQ, fast/clean sounding (Bad)-without EQ: muffled high and low sub-bass
Philips X2:  (Good)-airy, clean, detail, 3D/stereo, very comforable (Bad)-emphasis forward sounding high bass=>extremely loud annoying bass guitar over power all vocals, mid/recess vocal
HD429S:  sounds balanced but weird... can't figure out why.
Akai MPC: (BAD)-maybe I had a bad copy, extreme emphasis @1KHz.  Light on bass

what I am considering:
Mr Speaker Alpha dog (harder to drive & expensive)
Shure srh940 (I heard it's too bright and break easily)
Takstar 80 Pro/ Gemini
AKG 553 Pro
AKG 267 (Does it leak sound? I think I read someone says it does).
Sound Magic HP100/HP150  (I heard break easily)
Oppo pm3
Beyerdynamics DT770 pro 32 or 80 ohms, DT1770, DT150(high ohms)
Yamaha Pro500,  HPH-MT220
German Maetro GMP 8.35D
Sennheiser HD380 Pro
KRK KNS 6400
NAD VISO HP50

I am in SF bayarea and I don't think there is a store locally for me to try out these phones.  So I have to purchase base on reviews/opinions.  If you have tried HD280 Pro and one of the phone above, please give me your opinion comparing with HD280.  Or if you have other recommendation or for other head phones, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your help,

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 6
You could probably try out the HD380 and Shure SRH940, and perhaps the AKGs and Beyerdynymics. at Guitar Center. Guitar Center matches Amazon's price when you request a price match. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 6
I would DEFINITELY check out the HD380 Pro. I got to listen to some next to my 280 Pros and the difference was about exactly what you are describing that you want. It sounded a little more lively and warm, the bass felt cleaner and more defined, and they ironed out the comfort problem for sure. They feel wonderful compared to the 280 Pros! I don't really have any feedback about the others you are considering because I'm pretty inexperienced myself, but I definitely would recommend you try to listen to the 280 and 380 side by side somewhere if that's a possibility! 

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks JK1 & Panzerkiller13.  I'll try out HD380...  I read that HD380 sounds different from HD280 and some prefers HD280 especially due to weird treble emphasis and recess.   Do you have the same impression when you compare 380 to 280?

By the way, I thought Guitar center no longer let potential customer test out headphones.  Am I correct?  The Santa Clara store has a small selection of headphones sealed in packages in the middle of the store and I do not see any in the customer help desk.  I don't think they have HD380, Beyers nor SRH940 in store and I may have to order online.... not preferred as I may have to return them if I don't like the sounds.

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 6
  Thanks JK1 & Panzerkiller13.  I'll try out HD380...  I read that HD380 sounds different from HD280 and some prefers HD280 especially due to weird treble emphasis and recess.   Do you have the same impression when you compare 380 to 280?

By the way, I thought Guitar center no longer let potential customer test out headphones.  Am I correct?  The Santa Clara store has a small selection of headphones sealed in packages in the middle of the store and I do not see any in the customer help desk.  I don't think they have HD380, Beyers nor SRH940 in store and I may have to order online.... not preferred as I may have to return them if I don't like the sounds.

I guess it depends on your local store. It doesn't make sense for them to not have demo headphones available, especially since they have a price match policy with Amazon(when the customer requests it), so if someone hears a headphone at Guitar Center and likes it, there is no reason for them to buy it elsewhere. I guess some smaller stores might not have the less popular headphones available to listen to however headphones such as the Sennheiser HD380 for example are extremely popular. I did notice though that they have a very poor selection of open headphones. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 6
I checked Guitar center's website and it seems that all those headphone are not available in store around my area.... I'll check San Mateo store... I am not getting my hope up though.... 

Is there another store you would recommend for SF Bayarea for try out headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back