Upgrades from Denon AH-D2000 + Schiit setup?
Jan 22, 2015 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Telix

100+ Head-Fier
I've been listening to high-end headphones for quite some time. I got my first pair of Sennheiser HD580's in '99 or so and replaced them with Denon AH-D2000's about 6 years ago. I have done some of the resonance modifications such as dynamat in the cups, on part of the driver, and added extra padding to better angle the drivers towards the ear.

I currently use a Schiit Magni and Modi combo feeding the AH-D2000's. I listen to music most of the day at work, and am pretty stuck on sealed headphones for the outside sound reduction and the lack of sound bleeding into the room around me.

I am curious if there are any sealed headphones significantly better than the AH-D2000's, or if an amp or DAC upgrade would be a better use of my money. I have a fairly high budget right now, so I am interested in spending where it has an impact.

Please don't suggest IEMs, as I don't want to deal with inserting and removing them at work.

I value the smoothness of the sound from the Denons, along with the all-day comfort. One thing I've never really experienced with headphones is a soundstage, and honestly don't believe anyone that suggests headphones can have them. I haven't listened to Sennheiser HD800's, however, but those seem like they wouldn't be very good in my work environment due to the open design. However, if sealed headphones that don't sound like the sound is coming from inside your head exist, point me to them.

Long story short: if I wanted to spend up to, say, $500 on an amp or DAC or both to replace my Schiit Magni/Modi, or far more for new sealed headphones and amp/DAC to replace my Denon's, give me some advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back