Upgradeitis from my HD-555's -- recommendations please
Jan 24, 2005 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

daveman_84

100+ Head-Fier
Basically, I was very happy with my HD-555s for a while. Then I got a speaker system (some sweet and inexpensive vintage AR-4x) and didn't listen to the phones for a while. I did yesterday and became disappointed. I can now hear the graininess others were talking about. I'd like to upgrade.

I went from Senn. 497s to the 555s. I also have PX-100s that I plan on keeping for portable use.

Budget: ~$150-$200, new or used. I also have a Go-Vibe to power them.

I like smooth, liquid presentations with a nice soundstage. I don't mind a little darkness. I do mind brightness. Bright phones are out of the question. I listen to 80% Rock/20% Jazz. I'd prefer open phones. I'm thinking about the HD-580s and AKG K501s but am open to other suggestions too.

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 7
If the HD-580 is anything like the HD-650, go for that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 7
[size=medium]Why didnt you show up at the recent Pittsburgh PA meet??
eek.gif

[/size]

[size=xx-small]
Or did you??
confused.gif

[/size]

We had all the headphones you could have ever wanted...all the amps you could have wanted...
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway - I am in Erie...if you wanna drive over and spend a few hours by yourself with my gear you are welcome.

I have :-

Gilmore V2-BE
Gilmore Dynahi SA
Emmeline SR-71
Meier Porta Corda MK-II
(maybe a few other forgotten gems...
rolleyes.gif
)

HD-650
MS2
SR-60

I can summon an AKG K-501 from another local headfier

Lemme know buddy
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 7
Almost forgot....
basshead.gif

Dont worry about the missed meet opportunity
wink.gif

There might be another meet on the 5th of Feb in Pittsburgh....keep in touch and try to show up. A LOT of headfiers will be at this meet with some stunning gear !!

Best regards,

gs

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 7
I couldn't make the Pittsburgh meet because I had just left for home for Winter Break
frown.gif

But if there is a Feb. 5 meet I will try my best to make it! Where about would it be? I don't have a car, gotta take a bus.

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
You're not going to get much increase in sound quality for that little money. Save up, get a powerful amp and Senn 650s. Get the cans before the amp, and try before you buy or buy from a place that accepts returns.

Well, I don't have 1K sources, so would the 650 over the 580 be that earth-shattering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back