Upgraded Woo Audio 6?
Nov 17, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #181 of 187
I agree. As much as I like Black Gates, and what I used was BG's in super E, which is a little different but I would Go with the pseudo dual power supply if nothing else were done. That and a Sophia Princes or a good 5U4GB, though the Princess is a little better but without doubt at least the dual power supply for the jump in sound quality.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #182 of 187
I think I have my answers. Thanks guys
Great to hear that I won't have to spend way much more to improve slightly an already pretty good amp (as I was already decided to go with the PDPSU and the Sophia). I know at some point I'll want to improve it but I should be ok for a while.
Ready to order now
smily_headphones1.gif
... just need the USD to lower .. exchange rate hurt !
mad.gif

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #184 of 187

Quote:
Is Woo audio still offering upgrades to WA6? some say they discontinued v cap and blackgate upgrades 

They would be the best ones to ask. I would email them. 

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #185 of 187
I have an older Woo 6 with blackgate caps realy nice with my Denon D2000.
Tube rolling is a treat this this amp also. Running a  Mullard CV378 (GZ37)rectifier tube, nice tube for the Woo 6.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #186 of 187
Quote:
Is Woo audio still offering upgrades to WA6? some say they discontinued v cap and blackgate upgrades 

I think the Blackgates are no longer available... they're increasingly rare and hard to find.  Glad I got them when I bought my WA6 SEm - they do make a difference.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #187 of 187
I've done a lot of tube rolling on this amp.  

Rectifier:
So far the best I've heard-- and the one that lives in my WA6 is the Mullard GZ34.  Mine is a 1957 with a metal base and cost almost as much as the amp.  It brings tremendous presence and a deep bass, without sacrificing soundstage) The one tube I'm anxious to try is a Western Electric 422A 274B.  It's quite pricey-- as much as twice the cost of the amp.  Rectifiers have a huge impact on the sound, and a bad one closes the sound down and doesn't allow the transients to breathe.  A good test is a piece with a lot of wet reverb.  A poor rectifier clamps down on the reverb.

So far I've rolled:
Sofia Princess Mesh (All for show and glow)
5AR4 (Bad)
CV 593 (Decent)
Telefunken GZ32 (still auditioning-- more delicate than the GZ34-- lacks the impact, but delivers a delicate sound that's more open.)
Mullard GZ34 (1958 normal base-- my previous favorite)

Driver: 
So far my favorite is the 6SN7, a popular tube no question, for good reason. But I find the power tubes have less impact on sonic quality.  I listen for clean tones and punch, along with overall drive.  

On the power side:
6DE7 (Terrific on the HD650-- horrible when paired with the HD800)
6GL7 (horrible match for the HD650, better on the HD800)
3FD7 (awful)

I haven't messed with the electronics at all.  The HD800s are a finicky headphone.  They seriously underperform on this amp until married with quality tubes.  In fact, the HD650 sounds better on this amp (read: they're more forgiving) until I jump to my higher-end tubes.

I will be moving up in amp at some point, with an eye on the WA5LE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back