Upgraded MPX3 SLAM on the way...
Nov 28, 2005 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

IronLion

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't received it yet, but I should be getting my MPX3 back from Mikhail by the end of this week. I received it in its original configuration (Solen 3, black gates, teflon caps with Ken Rad driver/Sylvania GT outputs, spiked feet, neutrik locking jack) about 2 months ago but sent it back when I was disappointed with it. I sensed something was wrong, and sure enough it turned out to be the huge Solen 3 cap, which burned in weird and never settled properly, making the sound thin and uninvolving. While Mikhail still had it I went to the NYC meet and heard the MPX3 SLAM he had, and I decided to upgrade to that configuration to add some more impact to the sound. I really wanted to make my HD650's rock in a clean and powerful way, so I thought that was the way to go, but I also didn't want to lose too much of the atmosphere and soundstage the MPX3 provides. I spoke to Mikhail and we decided to add the Supra solid state transformer (the black box that comes stock on the Supra, not the plitron toroidal) because it would maximise soundstage and bass impact. My first instinct was to go for the huge toroidal plitron transformer but according to Mikhail it is more of a detail upgrade which actually lessens the bass. So, with the SLAM upgrade, the Supra transformer and the Solen 3, I tried to design this to be a dynamic monster to drive my HD650's with gutsy finesse. I'll post impressions and pics of it in a new thread when I get it, but for now here are some excerpts from the last email Mikhail sent me about it. Does anybody by any chance have the MPX3 SLAM with the Solen 3?

"The Supra transformer and other upgrades have been installed in your amplifier. The Larger transformer makes the impact of the amplifier better and produces a wider soundstage. I think this is the right direction as the below comments I have from my notes, this is the direction that I've taken to meet your sonic goals:"

"This was not just a bass response issue as we have discusses, the Solen capacitor was not allowing the sonics to come through as intended. The replacement of the capacitor and the results after having the unit run for some time thereafter did fix this issue. In addition to the Slam upgrade and Supra transformer installation, this has changed the unit into a forward presentation, with excellent impact, and retained the larger soundstaging as designed."

"I think we have the right mix of sonic qualities that you are looking for. The music has a very real and involving presentation, with a more forward, or up-front, presentation."

Nov 29, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 5
This sounds like you have built the ultimate MPX3/Supra Slam hybred. I'll be interested to hear your impressions after the amp arrives.
600smile.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
This sounds like you have built the ultimate MPX3/Supra Slam hybred. I'll be interested to hear your impressions after the amp arrives.
600smile.gif

Yeah the idea was to make the craziest, most dynamic MPX3 I could without turning it entirely into a different amp and losing its soundstaging magic and laid-back sound. I am interested to see if I succeeded...

Nov 29, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 5
Sounds very interesting indeed. Please keep us posted and don't forget the pictures!

Nov 29, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by IronLion
..."So, with the SLAM upgrade, the Supra transformer and the Solen 3, I tried to design this to be a dynamic monster to drive my HD650's with gutsy finesse. I'll post impressions and pics of it in a new thread when I get it,"...

Good L*rd, I thought my Solen 1 with Jensen PiO could shake the HD-650 in its fundaments
eek.gif
. Yes please, tell us everything about this MPX3-Thor's Hammer
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back