Upgraded from HD-497s to HD-580s... My (novice) Impressions
Mar 10, 2006 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sbyers77

Head-Fier
Hello all, I've been lurking here at head-fi for some time now but this is my first post.

I was introduced to the Sennhieser sound about a year ago when I bought my first pair of HD-497s. I loved them so much that I've recommended them to everyone I know. The only thing I didn't really like about them was being super-aural they are very fatiguing to wear for a long listening sessions as I have sensitive ears, so I decided my next set of cans were going to be circum-aural.

So I just got a pair of HD-580s delivered a few days ago and all I can say is wow, I am very impressed. Even if they sounded the same as the 497s I would feel justified in my purchase based off of build quality and comfort alone, but they also have a great improvement in sound quality as well. I'm probably not the best qualified to describe how they sound other than the highs are crystal clear and the bass is tighter and a bit lower. I'll be running these trough a Millett Hybrid I recently built or an Audigy2 in my computer.
580smile.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 10
Yea I previously owned the Sennheiser HD570's which I loved because they were so comfy and I could wear for hours. I have other headphones but even now still prefer my Sennheiser HD515's which are also circum-aural.

Have fun with the new cans and sorry about the wallet
k1000smile.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 10
I've had mine for several years now, and they seem to just get better with age. After time they become like old friends.

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 10
Yeah the HD 580s are superb! I experience eargasms with them every day!
580smile.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 10
like mine with my millet too... Very warm and open sounding. I'm one of the few on this forum who like the HD580 with a warm sounding tube amp.

Garrett

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
like mine with my millet too... Very warm and open sounding. I'm one of the few on this forum who like the HD580 with a warm sounding tube amp.

Garrett

The Millett was a fun little project which I didn't really have a good reason to make, so I bought the cans to go with the amp! Now I just have to build other amps and try different brand headphones to see what I prefer... Yay for new hobbies!

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
How much does it cost to build a Millett Hybrid?

Depends on how you want it configured (caps, case, knob, jacks, etc...), and what kind of tools you have currently.

There is a list of prices in the DIY forums somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back