Upgraded cable for Z5500, need input.
Jul 8, 2007 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nathan0490

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I just recently got a set of Logitech Z-5500's off of Dell on sale, for around $200 shipped. I was informed by a couple people that the upgraded speaker wiring is well worth it. So knowing that MonoPrice is the best place for cables, I searched there.

I found 12AWG, and 14AWG wiring.

12 AWG - $26.03

14 AWG - $22.04

So my question is there any noticeable difference between these two? Which would you choose?

Thanks,
Nathan

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 9
Both cables are majorly overkill for the logitech system so the difference between them in your situation is null.

Any decent 16ga. wire might improve your system, but even that difference is debateable.

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 9
It's crap relative to what speaker it's used with. For the logitechs, it works well enough. Try and use that same wire on a $1000 HIFI system and yes, it will be complete crap.

You can go ahead and change the wire if it's killing you, but you're not going to hear an improvment with those speakers. The money is better spent saving up for your next speaker purchase.

Jul 10, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by voxr3m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's crap relative to what speaker it's used with. For the logitechs, it works well enough. Try and use that same wire on a $1000 HIFI system and yes, it will be complete crap.

You can go ahead and change the wire if it's killing you, but you're not going to hear an improvment with those speakers. The money is better spent saving up for your next speaker purchase.

I decided im going to save up for a new sound card for my PC. I was talking to a buddy of mine who is also a member here, m3ta1head, on aim today and he says that the speaker wire will make a difference only after I upgrade the source. I have a Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer right now. I'm looking into the upcoming Asus Xonar D2 or the Auzentech Prelude, both of which look promising.

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 9
I think you're missing the point of what the wire is for.

In any case, you're unlikely to hear an improvement with new wire using a better source. There's no reason it should.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by voxr3m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're missing the point of what the wire is for.

In any case, you're unlikely to hear an improvement with new wire using a better source. There's no reason it should.

My understanding was that better wire had less signal loss.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 9
What you're thinking about by adding such thick wire to your system is akin to adding racing slicks to a golf cart. If you can get it to fit (probably not impossible), it's not going to do you any good. You're limited by your golf cart's capability. Changing the source and then changing the wire is akin to the above only with Jeff Gordon driving the cart. At the end of the day, it's still a golf cart, and it's not going to go any faster.

I'm not telling you not to change your wire, I'm just saying you're unlikely to benfit much if at all from it. You're losing much more audio information from the small satellite speaker's output than you are with the wire. When you get to the point where you spend $200 on a single speaker, then perhaps you'll have something to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back