upgrade
Jul 8, 2002 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI all: I have the senn.580s but are not good for portable use for me. I also have the philips 890s but not good for portable use for me. I use the koss ksc-35 or the portapros even more of the time and these cans are ideal for potrable use and with an portable amp they sound really great. All at a cost for the cans of 35.00 or less. To upgrade over these two can I think that you would have to pay much much more money for portable use to get better sound in portable use. If you are thinking of upgrading your portable cans try a search on the koss ksc-35 or better yet the koss portapros and a portable amp and you will have a great portable rig. If you get the portapros cut a small round hole in the pads to tame the bass and let out the mids and the highs. I have had many different cans for portable use but none even come close for portable use as the koss 35 or portapro.

Jul 9, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 6
I whole heartedly agree with LTUCCI. To any people that just came here to find decent headphones and not murk through thousands of posts on a very expensive and thorough hobby... wel, get the KSC-35's.

They're clip-ons, but not like the Sony's they sit on your ears and although the fit is a bit awkward the sound is terrific for the price. Get an amp if you're willing, and already you'll have one of the best sets when it comes to how much you paid for them.

In all honesty, do it while you can, before they all go, and your sucked into the wallet emptying hobby of headphones
tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 6
TimSchirmer
HI: You could also think about the koss portapro at 49.00 or less. They have a three way ajustment and are not to bass heavey if you cut a quarter size hole in the pads. You can get better pads at radio shack for 3.00 These are also very portable and sound great.

Jul 10, 2002 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 6
Hey LTUCCI1924,

I like my PortaPros, but I always thought the treble was muffled. Most people mention the exaggerated bass, but that didn't bother me as much as the diminished treble. Inspired by this thread, I went to RadioShack yesterday and picked up the headphone pads (they had two for 2.99 - I chose the thinner version). When I got home and looked at the PortaPros, I was a little confused about how to proceed with the hole-cutting mod to the pads. I thought it would be better to cut the holes in the new pads, and leave the ones that came with the PortaPros alone. But I couldn't take them off without ripping them apart, because they are secured in there with prongs that go around the diameter of the can.

Can you provide some how-to insight regarding this mod? I see two options:
1) If it is not possible to non-destructively remove the pads, then should I just cut the holes in the stock pads without removing them, or
2) cut holes in the new pads and then put them on, after ripping off (and ruining) the stock pads.

By the way, in your opinion, will this mod even help with the muffled treble? Or will it just tone down the bass? If it doesn't help with the treble and clarity properties, maybe I won't even bother.

Vince

Jul 10, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 6
Vince
HI: to take off the old pads just genley pull up all around the pad and they will unstick from the prongs. The hole in the pads will amaze you. The hole will tame the bass and let out the mids and the highs. No longer sounding muffled on mids and highs and bass will sound a lot better. The pads that you said at radio shack were not really thin but the better pads that I got. The other thicker looking pads are really thinner pads but are bigger all around. You got the right pads now make a hole about the size of a quarter or a little smaller in the center of the pads. Good luck and if you like the sound a whole lot please post so I will know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back