Upgrade woes / curse you, Head-Fi! / Shops in Portland, OR, USA?
Mar 8, 2006 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

s3r

New Head-Fier
Well, lately I've been unsatisfied with my headphones. All of them. The KSC75 I'm content with, since it only gets used when I'm walking around campus and spending more would be wasteful, but my home cans... eh. I think it was buying a dedicated amp that caused this upgradeitus - the sorry excuse for an amp in my PC speakers' control pod really muffled the sound, and now that I have an amp that's cleaner, I'm more aware of my headphones' faults.

The SR60 has begun to have the "Grateo" effect. The HD497 doesn't have enough detail. The HD280 is my favorite, certainly, but even with the blue-tak mod, it lacks the bass presence/impact I want (though the extension is wonderful). These are the only cans I have experience with, though, so while of these I really like the HD280 sound, I'm not totally sure where I want to go in terms of upgrading - team college-fi can't afford to buy and experiment.

Really, I'd love to hit up a big meet so I can listen to all sorts of setups and have a better chance of finding my real preferences, but alas, I see none coming up in Seattle or Portland (I'm in the Tri-Cities, WA, so it's ~3.5 hours to either of those cities, ~2 hours south of Spokane) - although if I see one come up, I'll be doing my best to get to one. As it is, I am going to Portland, OR this weekend, to see some family who are visiting there, and I'd love to spend some time listening at a shop. I'd likely only have time to really spend time at one.

One of the last times I was there, I went to Fred's Sound of Music, and bought my SR60s - I had $70 to burn and didn't really spend much time listening to them, although the option was there. They carry Grado and Sennheiser, and their site says they have reasonable collections of each, so I'll be checking them out again, unless someone can recommend a better shop with more cans.

As for where to upgrade to, I really don't know, without being able to listen. The Grado SR225 interests me, but I want more soundstage, because if I buy new cans in the $150-200 range, I'll be selling off my other cans and I'll need them for gaming. The HD-555/595 are attractive, in terms of price/reviews/comfort (something none of my current cans really offer), but again, I'd have to hear them. The A900 also sounds attractive, and the closed-ness would probably be nice at LAN parties.

Cliff Notes:
-unhappy with headphones
-want to know of a good shop in Portland, OR
-have some can ideas
-Curse you, Head-Fi!!

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 4
I haven't been able to find any hi-fi shops where you can get headphones. I didn't even know there was a Grado dealer in Oregon! As for meets, there will probably be one much later in the year, near the begining of summer. If any of the other guys in the area or from the meet know of any places let us in on it!

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 4
There's actually a Grado dealer in Eugene weird huh? They also have some low level Senn's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back