Upgrade to what? Bit confused after listening to XBA-10
Sep 18, 2013 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TonyVier

Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for an IEM to buy, (had a Shure 530 once, broke because of sweat etc, didn't think much of it anyway, maybe it was a fake or so)

So I bought a Sony XBA-10 as an experiment, didn't expect much, but I like them a lot actually, surprise. While my Grado 325's sound better, the XBA-10 is good enough for "going out".

XBA-10's can do a decent bass for their size!

Yet, if the treble could get a bit nearer to the Grado, it would be nice :)

I am afraid another Sony (20-40) would just give me more bass, and the treble would be the same...

Has anyone experience with the XBA series and other BA's like the Etymotics and can say something about the trebles in comparison?

Thanks!

(I have PHA-1)

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 6
Realistically speaking: No IEM will be ever close to the grado sound.

About Etmotic:The HF5 are excellent in the treble department. the MC5 are a bit boring IMO, you can't go wrong with the first if nice treble is what you're looking for.
About the Sony: if you like the sound, you should keep them, No reason to get another pair.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 6
Ok, thanks... Got the TDK BA200 on the way (sigh, treble)

Etymotics, considering ER-4, (sigh, bass)

Or maybe Westone 4r.

(Sony XBA-10 developed a tiny rattle at certain frequencies, at higher volume levels in the left channel)

To me it seems as if BA IEMS have a more "dryer" sound in general?

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 6
I was considering the BA200 before I decided to get the T-Peos H-100. These have both BA and Dynamic driver. It has a very V shaped signature which I'm not really fond of. I also feel BA sounds "dryer" than dynamic drivers.

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 6
For me the Sony XBA-10 was quite a surprise. Didn't expect bass, but it's there, and "clean".

Hope for someone out there who has compared XBA's with f.i. the Etymotics 4, or similar BA's and can say something about it....

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 6
Actually there are 2 IEM comparison threads with those IEMs you mentioned in this forum. One by Joker and the other by ClieOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back