Upgrade to UE-5C from Westone UM2?
Mar 21, 2007 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tonyfiore75

100+ Head-Fier
Hey People,

Tough decision here... I want custom ear moldings. I want the perfect fit. So, having said that I am thinking about upgrading to the Ultimate Ears 5c. I love the sound of my UE Super.Fo 5 Pros and I also have the Westone UM2s which I love. Still, I want customs. What would be the logical upgrade here? I am not paying $900 for the UE 10s. I can only spend so much, ya know? The UE-5Cs seem right up my price alley.

What are your suggestions? Would I really be wrong not to wait for the triple driven earphones?

I'm a little confused, obviously. and yes, I do like the sound signature of UEs. So... what say you?

Thanks in advance!

-T

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 15
I can better reply in a week or 2. I have UE5c's being made now. I had UM2's.

I too wanted a perfect fit.

I too LOVE the sound of the Super.fi 5 pros. I liked my UM2's alot, but not as much as the SF.5's as far as sound. I never liked the comfort of the SF5's. I hope the Ue5c is exactly what am I looking for: SF.5 sound (maybe a tick better) with custom fit.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 15
You guys sure aren't helping my financial situation!!! I think I'm ready to pull the trigger. Called the audiologist today and am awaiting confirmation of an appointment. Ohhhh boy. Here I go....

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 15
you may want to have um56 done for your UM2. In this way, you will spend less $ and still enjoy um2 in another better way. um2 with um56 sounds brighter with those treble reveal and the bass is no longer bloated like with universal sleeves

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 15
The UM56s will make a nice improvement on the UM2 or any universal iem but they are not on par with customs. If you can afford the UE5customs with your budget, go for it.

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 15
He is also in love with his UE SF.5's, so he can save $100.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 15
i don't think there's any real hope of me "saving" here. Any way you slice it there WILL be money spent. I love my Super.Fis and UM2s for different reasons. Their sound signatures are different and I notice that different songs sound differently with each headphone. The UM2s are certainly more balanced. The Super.Fis are more, I dunno, fun. They seem brighter to me. It's hard to describe but I know you all know what I mean.

Also, i didn't love the way the customs looked on the Westone site. What was with that little tube coming out of them? An AIR hole? They just don't seem as , well, CUSTOMIZED as the UEs. maybe I'm reading the picture wrong or something. The UEs just seem more appealing to me.

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 15
That thing sticking out is on the UM56 custom tips for the UM1 or 2. It is to pull them out as they are just tips and could stay in when you pull out.

Their true custom (ES2) looks very much like the UE customs. Pics of people's here look very similar. UE's web page is about 1000x better than Westone, as are their pictures. UE customs look a lot better when looking at the websites, but in reality they are very similar.

I still think UE is the way to go if you are so on the fence, $100 is $100. I have no issue with paying $100 more if you want something more, but if you cannot decide, save money.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 15
I'd tested it 4 times...before I bought UM2s. - -

can I have some test before buy the UE5c?

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 15
The shure E500 and Triple.fi pros are most likely better. So i agree with the idea of getting one of this universal fit triple driver iems, and just getting the custom fit upgrade for them.

Apr 14, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The shure E500 and Triple.fi pros are most likely better. So i agree with the idea of getting one of this universal fit triple driver iems, and just getting the custom fit upgrade for them.

I've had westone es2 for about a month now and have to disagree. I used e500 before and think the es2 are better in...every way. A lot is probably because of the custom fit, but i think the es2 sound a lot more fun especially with the mids and highs.

I think with either e5c or es2 you can't go wrong. I had never heard a westone before getting them but had a pretty good idea what I was getting myself in to.

I owned the super.fi and never liked the comfort but thought the sound was great. I think the es2 is somewhat similar in sound but it's impossible and unfair to compare the super.fi to the es2 due to the custom fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back