Upgrade to Stax?
Aug 13, 2016 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BearMonster

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone help me? Went to canjam london today only saw the stax 009, which i liked but would have preferred to have listened to the stax 2170 which has been on my list.

Is it worth going in blind buying the 2170 i have only seen the zreview of the 2170 which i know is not the best example.

I would be upgrading from my beyerdyanmic t1 2nd gen  which is far from perfect for me & probably will one day get myself the bifrost multibit once it come back into stock.I will be buying these in the uk so i don't have to get myself a transformer.

I listen to rock, alternative, chill trap, k-pop, vocal trance & many more.

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 4
Mm hard to recomend you something. I think best would be find dealer in UK and try some Stax models L700, L500 etc. firstly.
What is wrong with your T1gen2? Maybe your system is not optimal for them.
I think planars is better option against electrostatic system these days because it is cheaper, quality electrostatic amps is very expensive or some diy electrostatic amps, if exist today I do not know.  

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 4
My problem with the beyerdynamic t1 2nd gen are the mids, they are kind of slightly put back maybe even making them recessed.

I really prefer not to use eq and leave things as they are, i've played around with tubes and solid state before finally settling on solid state for the time being but you can't help but notice it.

I think i prefer to stick with the stax amp the other electrostat amps i would have to import & there is no way customs would slap on the import charge on me.

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Entry-level STAX is very affordable from the used market. I got an SR-207 for $180 and an SRM-212 for $150. I think it's a great introduction to electrostats, and something to use to tide you over until you can upgrade to more expensive STAX models. And yes, it's so good that I would recommend it even if you haven't auditioned it before.

Here's a good thread to check out in the future:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/676272/the-entry-level-stax-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back