upgrade to PFE or other?
May 7, 2009 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

maingarden

Head-Fier
Huge fan, first time poster, and fearing for my wallet.

I bought the Shure SCL3 a few weeks ago when guitar center was having the sale on their white models. And to think I was going to go with a $50 SE110...

I've been reading and I'm appreciating more to what is described; I love the clear mids, nice clarity on voice, and the olives are now almost unnoticeable now that I'm use to having the IEM feel.

The bass, though, is lacking, overall, and it hurts the soundstage.
I"m already feeling the itch to upgrade...yikes.

So, for those who have had a Shure model equivalent, is the PFE worth the upgrade, especially when it comes to bass and soundstage?

The UM3, IE8, SE530, UE TF10 may be out of reach for now; I want to slowly upgrade and enjoy the exerience anyway.

Also, where should I look about using a different device for EQing and to handle different formats? I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to portables and audio formats.

I, do, however, have absolute perfect pitch, and am loving this growing hobby.

thanks in advance, everybody
beyersmile.png

May 7, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 9
PFE is a great choice IMO, especially for great mids. The ADDIEM is a step down, but from reading (I owned both, but not at the same time), the ADDIEM is close unamped, but the PFE really pulls away amped. If you go ADDIEM, you can get a used pair for $39.

May 7, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 9
I would get the PFEs without a doubt. They have been compared and preferred over some of the big hitters at much higher prices.

I own the Shure E500s (530s same thing), and I haven't even wanted to listen to them after the PFEs arrived if that tells you something.

May 7, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 9
I have the SE210's (a rough SCL3 equivalent) as well as the PFE, and it's just simply not a contest. Even when not amped, PFE's are miles ahead. Considering I got these two at the same price point, it's sad, actually, how big the difference is.

I'm a big 530 lover, but have found out from experience (from owning e2c, SE210) that lower end Shures are not worth your time. 310's is the point where you should be considering them.

Stick with the Phonaks.

May 7, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 9
the PFEs really do sound perfect for me. I don't think I want to invest and jump all the way to SE530 yet b/c I want to appreciate the differences, and, really, this SCL3 is amazing already.

I feel some tracks play better on the ipod than others, and I can tell, there are huge differences in good and bad recordings.

i love Arcade Fire but they just don't sound as good with the quality of their recordings.

so, can you point me in the direction or where to learn about quality formatting, what formats to use, how to get them converted, what device to use? i've read you all have cowons, sansas, etc. the EQ capability of the ipod sucks - rock amps up the bass, but it hurts to listen after a short while. Flat doesn't really get the lower end nicely on a lot of songs - there's somewhat of a rumble with the low, low end frequencies. i feel this might be worthwhile before getting the PFEs.

i'm getting addicted.

May 7, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 9
x2 the above comment about the lower end Shures. Honestly, in terms of single balanced arm iems, the PFE's are the ones to beat (and I've heard just about every one in existence). Even compared to the SE310's, the PFE's are better in just about every aspect with the possible exception of durability, but Phonak does take care of it's customers.

May 7, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 9
oh and I listened a little to the 310s at Apple - briefly, I heard some subtle differences when listening to M83 Saturdays = Youth album, but really, I don't know if that is worth the price upgrade.

playlist now includes mostly indie rock, some hip hop/rap, and quality classical - clarity is important.

May 7, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 9
rockbox it. check out rockbox.org for your sansa/ipod. set it free... i re ripped my whole library in Both .wav and .flac (i have the space). and my rockboxed sansa plays both now as well as .alac i think... but seriously. rockbox it. also rockbox saves battery on my sansa like crazy.

May 7, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by maingarden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the PFEs really do sound perfect for me. I don't think I want to invest and jump all the way to SE530 yet b/c I want to appreciate the differences, and, really, this SCL3 is amazing already.

I feel some tracks play better on the ipod than others, and I can tell, there are huge differences in good and bad recordings.

i love Arcade Fire but they just don't sound as good with the quality of their recordings.

so, can you point me in the direction or where to learn about quality formatting, what formats to use, how to get them converted, what device to use? i've read you all have cowons, sansas, etc. the EQ capability of the ipod sucks - rock amps up the bass, but it hurts to listen after a short while. Flat doesn't really get the lower end nicely on a lot of songs - there's somewhat of a rumble with the low, low end frequencies. i feel this might be worthwhile before getting the PFEs.

i'm getting addicted.

Couple Keywords with formats, conversions, and peripherals:

EAC (Exact Audio Copy), LAME, FLAC frontend, LOD (Line out device), DAC, rockbox. A simple search of any of these keywords should bring you mountain of information.

Have fun! You'll definitely appreciate the change in quality of music and then get REALLY into this hobby.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back