Upgrade to Next Level
Mar 6, 2012 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ltucker305

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I currently listen to grado SR80i and a cmoy amp.  There are a few problems I have found with this.

1.  Much of my listening is on commute so the open back listening bothers many people.
2.  Because it bothers many people I have to keep the volume low which ruins the enjoyment I get from listening.
3.  I have found that the SR80i work great on most stuff except classical.  Some parts I hear to loud and others I do not hear at all.

I would like to upgrade to the next level but not sure what to check out.  For my needs I would like a closed back that is not so bulky and is good to excellent for all types of music and works well with my cmiy.  I know headphones will be better with some music than others.  

I read most reviews and many speak of the beyer DT770.  Is this a good step up from SR80i?

I want to keep it under $350 if possible.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 12
Consider the Denon D1100, around $150-200 online. It's a circumaural closed-back portable headphone with a forward signature similar to the Grados and great bass impact that's not muddy. It has a firm but comfy clamp, so no sound leakage and offers a good degree of passive noise isolation.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 12
I did consider these. Many people on the forum said that the sound is good.  Bass is predominant which I do not want but the big turn off for me is that many people feel they are cheap and break easy.  I would like something that you can remove the cord maybe.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 12
Well then, the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II ($170ish) should be on your short list - closed back, replaceable cables, tank-like build quality, and an excellent all-arounder. It's only supraaural though (not covering your ears completely) and the soundstage is quite small.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #10 of 12
It sounds like you are coming up with a few, very different options. It might help if you tell us what kind of sound you are actually looking for, or at least specifically what you are missing from the SR80's.

In my experience the Z1000 is nicely balanced with all kinds of music, but sub-bass response is a tad lean so if that is important to you I would look elsewhere. Its very comfortable but keep in mind it doesn't fold up, making portability slightly more difficult compared to other options.

The TMA-1 is the opposite; its a DJ headphone with recessed highs and impressive bass. I've only heard it once but quite liked it.

To my ears the HD25 was too shrill but you might like it.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #11 of 12
Hi All,

The SR80 is lacking instrumentation. Vocals are fine. But instrumental such as symphony or classical is all over the place. Sometimes it is too loud and sometimes i cannot hear. Mind you this is in the same song.

Want something that is good with all types of music. Even when there are no vocals.

Seems the hd 25 is the way for me to go.

I mentioned the aiaiai because they are coming out with a studio version of the tma-1 and wanted to know if I should wait for those

Users who are viewing this thread

Back