upgrade to MSB Link III significant?
Apr 14, 2002 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chriscu1

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have an AMC CD8b CD player, which has a 24/96 DAC inside it. I doubt it's a high-end one, since this player runs for about $200. My question is, since it has a coax digital out, would running that to a basic MSB Link III (aka WITHOUT any upgrades) make a huge difference? My main listening uses a Grado RA-1 to Grado RS-1's. Thanks for any inputs.

Apr 14, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 7
I good dac can really make a difference so it might be worthwhile to get one. The Art DI/O is also an alternative, it sounds just as good and is cheaper (~$125). The MSB Link II is also a possibility. It is identicle to the III, except not as easily upgradable. You might be able to find it for less.

Apr 15, 2002 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 7
I love my MSB.
smily_headphones1.gif
But one of the main reasons I love it is for its upsampling (I think). I had the stock only for a couple of months, and it was improvement...to my Sony.

However, I have no idea whether or not it would be an improvement on your AMC. Cheap price does not necessarily == bad. If you could describe some of your hesitations with its sound...

Apr 15, 2002 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 7
I don't have any real complaints on the player. Just kinda considering my options for upgrading my source, since I don't really need to upgrade my amp or phones.

Just a classic case of upgraditis.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 7
I have an Adcom GCD-575, which was supposed to be one of the better CD players in its day. My MSB Link II has made a BIG difference in my system. I'm told that the base model Link III is essentially the same sonically, but is much more upgradeable. I'd recommend it highly!!

Jul 5, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by markjia
I good dac can really make a difference so it might be worthwhile to get one. The Art DI/O is also an alternative, it sounds just as good and is cheaper (~$125). The MSB Link II is also a possibility. It is identicle to the III, except not as easily upgradable. You might be able to find it for less.

Was the price quote for the Art DI/O on the used market? I'm interested in finding out more about it (I keep hearing all these great things...)
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back