Upgrade to LCD-2.2, worth it?
Nov 11, 2011 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mrksgrn

Head-Fier
My current system is FLAC > HRT MS2 (not plus version) > M-stage Matrix > HD650.

I've recently acquired just about enough funds for an LCD2.2 and was wondering if I should drop the dough. With my current DAC/AMP setup, would the LCD2 be a big improvement in sound quality over the HD650? Could I get away with my current DAC/AMP setup to drive the LCD2 well? Or should I upgrade my DAC/AMP first before I land the LCD2?

Please tell me how to spend my money 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 5
The LCD's are far,Far, FAR better than the HD650's.
So I say get the LCD's and know that they are unlikely to ever be the weaklink and any improvements via upgrading the rest of your system will be plainly evident.

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 5
Yea, your setup will be significantly better with the LCD2 than the HD650, despite the Mstage being insufficient to provide enough amping to achieve the best the LCD2 has to offer.  I think its just fine to start out with. The LCD2 doesn't require much power to sound great, its very efficient and sounded pretty good right out of my J3 mp3 player with no amp, but it requires insane amounts of power to sound its best.

The Mstage, Cavali, and Schiit Asgard are IMO the top three entry level amps, most people seem to enjoy the Cavali more than the other two, i think it had higher output than the Mstage yet it still did almost nothing for my LCD2 except provide a tube sound and actually ruined the sound stage beyond what just my J3 was capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back