Upgrade to E500?
Nov 13, 2006 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TheNew007

Banned
I own the im716 right now and i am pretty satisfied with it. However there are somethings that I want more such as stronger clearer bass, more detail and more musical seperation. Does anybody know if E500 sounds close to as what I have described or is there another IEM that's more fit for me? I will be running the IEM ampless out of the iaudio X5 so will the X5 have enough power to run the E500?

thanks

Nov 13, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 13
The E500 sounds like ur choice...

and i m sure it ll be enough to push it with ur X5.

Nov 13, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNew007
I own the im716 right now and i am pretty satisfied with it. However there are somethings that I want more such as stronger clearer bass, more detail and more musical seperation. Does anybody know if E500 sounds close to as what I have described or is there another IEM that's more fit for me? I will be running the IEM ampless out of the iaudio X5 so will the X5 have enough power to run the E500?

thanks

E500 has three drivers - two bass woofers and a tweeter. It's a set of very musical IEM, it does especially well in the mids and bass from the two woofers. Personally, I find it a little soft in the highs but for people who listen to more bassy music, they won't find it a problem.

The E500 has an impedance of 36 Ohm, it's very very easy to drive, even with something like iPod Shuffle, so X5 won't be an issue at all.

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

thanks

Try to get Supermacro IV with Bassboost option, sounds very nice bigger and stronger bass.

Nov 13, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 13
The e500 have all that you’ve described, plus more… much more - not even in the same league as of the im716.
If I’d have to describe them in a word, precise comes to mind.
The bass it’s like an explosion, a powerful explosion, but a controlled one: it doesn’t move or touch more than it was supposed to touch (that’s one way to describe it). The same goes on the rest of the spectrum. Perhaps it’s this control (or containment) on everything that makes them seem lack of warmth (to me a bit at first)... or it's their sound signature; either way it’s hard to be disappointed with the E500.
Personally I cannot wait to get them back from Shure.

cheers!

Nov 14, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo
Try to get Supermacro IV with Bassboost option, sounds very nice bigger and stronger bass.

is an amp nessacery for the e500 to sound superb? If i dont get an amp then will i be using only 1/5 of e500's potential?

Nov 14, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

is an amp nessacery for the e500 to sound superb? If i dont get an amp then will i be using only 1/5 of e500's potential?

An amp can make them sound better (or add color) but it's definitely not necessary for them to sound good. If I had to quantify it I think without an amp you'd be using 9/10 of the E500s potential.

Nov 14, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 13
IMHO, an amp is not necessary to get a good performance out of the E500. I used to use the Hornet M with my E500 and the performance gain was subtle and definitely not as dramatic as others have described. Ultimately, it's whether you think it is worth investing in an amp to get the very last couple of percent from the E500. Also, you should take into account whether you will be comfortable with taking an amp on-the-go. If the answer to the two questions is yes, then by all means go and get yourself an amp!

Bass boosting the E500 isn't necessary. IMO, the amount of bass is definitely enough. Of course, this may depend on your source, source material and personal preferences.

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 13
That's why I prefer to Xin Supermacro since, even if you get minimum improvement but then, you get extra features, like impedance, cross-feed, and most importantly, Xin Bass Boost which has always been my favorite. The Bass Boost in Supermacro is in such high quality. It's very different from ordinary bassboost. it sounds very deep.

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo
That's why I prefer to Xin Supermacro since, even if you get minimum improvement but then, you get extra features, like impedance, cross-feed, and most importantly, Xin Bass Boost which has always been my favorite. The Bass Boost in Supermacro is in such high quality. It's very different from ordinary bassboost. it sounds very deep.

Although I do think that the bass boost on the Supermacro is great, I still find it slightly overwhelming for the E500. Bass lovers should love it!

Nov 16, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 13
umm...i just got my er4ps and have to say that the e500's are not what you're looking for coming from the im716s.

The e500 will give you much much stronger bass but detail and clarity and highs? I don't think so. If the im716s sound anything like the er4ps then you will not the get highs/mids or detail with the e500s...the bass is without question the e500s strong suit.

The im716s are a much more neutral iem, the description that the e500s are musical is accurate i guess. with musical meaning more bass, bumped up frequency response in the under 1khz region, not that extended highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back