Upgrade to akg 550 with similar characteristics aground £500.00
Sep 2, 2014 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dreambass

100+ Head-Fier
Hello new but been scanning a year. Nice to meet you I hope.
From my selection of 3 HP's my deffinate favourite is the AKG 550. Don't really listen to the other's now. Yesterday I went to the infamous Richer Sound's to try a few of what they had in stock. The HD700, Beyer T90 and Shure 1540. Major letdown with HP amp ( none) but tried them through a Cambridge Audio 2k setup. No gain far too low on all phone's. Moved on to a top of the line Yamaha receiver 2k, much better ( volume ) and could hear them better loads of power, not ideal I know. I immediately had a poor experience with hd700 lacking body I guess, wasn't willing to put more time on the source /amp situation.
Then I moved on to the T90 and I had an feeling of being on the right track. They seemed more Analogue to me a more personal sound. So third but not least the Shure 1540, they brought a surprise to my ear's, being closed I guess initially brought that on. There was a solid fuller sound with these that I liked a lot. Just can't be honest with myself if I'm saying I'd trust the kit they foolishly had to hand as amp\ source. T90 I think for me though.
So I think my upgrade issues are needing input. Please fire away

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 9
Do you want a DAC/amp included in that budget then as well, or do you already have one? You're after a full, but mostly natural sound?

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 9
Do you want a DAC/amp included in that budget then as well, or do you already have one? You're after a full, but mostly natural sound?
I am using a humble dacmagic plus which I can hang on to for now, in the process of selling for more cash a sub etc. Budget for phones then next purchase possibly oppo Ha-1. I listen off comp. Like the features of dacmagic and oppo.

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 9
Well, at the price range of DAC/amps you're looking at, they'd probably be versatile enough to power darn near anything you threw at them. There's plenty of fantastic options in that range, I myself have an Audio-GD NFB-28 and love it. Perhaps the new Oppo PA-2, Hifiman HE-400i, Sennheiser HD650, AKG K712, Fostex TH600, or Sennheiser HD700 would be worth looking at in your price range. They all are pretty natural sounding... the last two are probably a little more V-shaped though. I've tried all but the first two. Are there any other stores you can try headphones at, or any local Head-Fi meets you could attend? Auditions will answer your questions about 100x faster than reading online will.

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 9
Jodgey4 there is a place called HiFi lounge an hour away but I need the doe in my pocket before I venture there. Its tricky this as I just want more of what I already have, just need more cash waiting on that coming in. You have put in some ideas in mk head and brought me back down the AKG road..... Had been like an itch in my mind anyhow. Keep any ideas coming my way and I'll fill you in on what I hear as said cash arrives.

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 9
Been there, haha. Hopefully some more people can chime in. If you know you like the AKG sound, the K712 is probably a safe bet. But what fun is that?
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 9
Although AKG 550 to me has real debth and control to it's sub bass and bass detail that I miss on the MDR-1S, I think bass quality is important to me. I feel like great bass quality wins me over then for detail to come along and question my key criteria ( more like the balance of the two).
The K712 i need to audition good on price too just seems too easy.

I feel I need to go up a stage on my phones still using the dacmagic plus to fully appreciate my next amp/ dac combo. It's a journey which I thought was a fad, it's not now and I can see myself going on with this into the distant future, just not wanting to burn my enthusiasm out by jumping up the ladder until I've finished climbing it. Need to savour the flavor of what ive got to appreciate what I have coming.

I now have a bit of a dislike going on with fixed cables. I'd like to have the option to change them, a must.

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 9
There has gotta be Load's of people on here with helpful opinions................I can only audition so much, so in the mean time more ideas/conversation? 
I should really state that im not going down the tube route anytime soon so this should reflect in HP's suggested. Once i purchase my next set around £500.00 price i will move onto a equal amp, maybe using Dacmagic plus DAC initially.
Anymore feedback on Fostex 600 in a comparative manner to Beyer T90 And Shure 1540?
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back