Upgrade to 325i or RS2 from SR225?
Feb 20, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #16 of 27
Just traded in my somewhat new SR225's for a new pair SR325i's, right out of the box without burnin I hear a refinement that is missing with the previous pair.
Better defined bass with a much better head space, just don't let me near the R series.

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b
Just traded in my somewhat new SR225's for a new pair SR325i's, right out of the box without burnin I hear a refinement that is missing with the previous pair.
Better defined bass with a much better head space, just don't let me near the R series.

You forgot to say that they're insanely bright.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #20 of 27
Mind you my ears are as old as John Grado's.
So far I've tried a few discs, jazz, pop, electronic, classical also sounds very good with these phones.
The stage depth is much better than the SR225's with better extension at both extremes.
These might be my AKG-Senn replacement, good stageing with bass.
Time will tell.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #21 of 27
Three years ago I faced the same problem. After auditioning both of them, I chose 325 and didn't even think about cans upgrade for a couple of years, while improving ic-s and the amp and the source.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #22 of 27
looks like I will be getting a job soon enough, so some RS2's might be on my way...of course after many, many, many weeks of saving
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b
That they are not, I find them smooth but detailed and very refined, so far.

They're far from smooth or then you have some super smooth and warm source and amp there. Word smooth fits to describe only RS-1 and RS-2 from Grado lineup (IMO).

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
They're far from smooth or then you have some super smooth and warm source and amp there. Word smooth fits to describe only RS-1 and RS-2 from Grado lineup (IMO).

Well then I could assume that the RS-1/ RS-2 would sound even smoother but could lose the bite.
But my definition of smooth means no harshness in highs even though they are extended.
With the Sr325i’s so far, I feel it’s the closest I’ve gotten to have a live feed off the mikes.
With the Senn’s I always feel there is something between me and the music, they are very good at what they do but not what I’m looking for. The K501’s are also very good but lack the visceral impact in the lower octaves, destroying the illusion, especially with large orchestral works.
Also the source is paramount in keeping the digital hash to a minimum, a good amp will just exasperate the problem with a bad source.

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #26 of 27
The irony was that I put off buying Grado’s for years, at the audio shop that had them hooked up to a multi-racks they sounded awful at best so-so.
I only picked up some SR60’s at xmas for portable use after all the recommendations, so I thought I’d give them a try. They were nothing that I imagined or remembered once I got them home on my own system, and immediately moved up to the SR225’s.
The SR325i’s came about by a lucky chance when I went into inquire about my SR225’s because of some cosmetic problems.
What I’m saying is that the Grados were just revealing all the deficiencies in the chain when I originally auditioned them, making them sound the way they did.

Feb 21, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #27 of 27
Just read this on Grado's site for their SR325i's so I wasn't pre-influenced
"The SR325i will produce a sound that is pure Grado, warm harmonic color, rich full bodied vocals, excellent dynamics and an ultra smooth top end. Listen and Enjoy"
That what I'm getting and ...... my 200th post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back