Upgrade Time!
Jul 10, 2003 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently fell into some extra money and would like to renovate my system. My budget is $20K. I have some ideas already, but I would like the expert assistance of the Head-Fi members. Please suggest source, amp, ICs, power and phones - try to keep it within the $20K limit. My profile describes my current rig, but here is a quick glance at what I'm running now:

Marantz CD-63 (I know it's old, but I like the sound, maybe I'll get a Linn Sondek CD12 j/k
wink.gif
)
Cardas Neutral Reference IC
HeadRoom Maxed Out Home
Sennheiser HD-580

I'm looking for a cans/amp combo with the best synergy and performance. These are the headphone/amp combos I am mulling over:

AKG K1000/Antique Sound Labs AQ1005DT or Audio Valve RKV MkII
Audio Technica ATH-W2002 w/Cary Audio 300 SEI
Beyerdynamic DT880 w/HAP-03
Etymotic ER-4S w/Meta42
Grado RS-1 w/RA-1
Grado MS-Pro w/RA-1
Grado HP-1 w/HPA-1
Sony MDR-CD3000 w/E.A.R.-Yoshino V20 (probably way off base here. But couldn’t find any suggestions for this can)
Sony MDR-R10 w/Angstrom Research (Nik's amp, though this combo will probably leave no room for any other upgrades)
Sennheiser HD600 (Cardas Upgrade) w/HeadRoom BlockHead
Sennheiser Orpheus w/HEV90 (j/k
wink.gif
)
Stax Omega II w/STAX SRM-007

I wish there was this magical place where I could try all the best headphones with the best amps, sources, ICs, etc. with all my favorite CDs for a few months...Then I could truly choose the best combo for me. Or I could marry Alicia Keys and have her buy me all of it (though that may upset my fiance more than somewhat).

These are just ideas and thoughts. Any suggestions, tips and/or flames are welcome.
600smile.gif
3000smile.gif
etysmile.gif
k1000smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 35
If you consider the Sony MDR CD3000s...I have paired them with two headamps from Meier Audio....the Corda HA-2 and the Corda HA-1 mkII...both with marvelous synergy.

John

Jul 10, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 35
$20k...
eek.gif

I'd get the dCS Verdi/Purcell/Elgar+ combo without a second thought for the source, and pair that up with the Omega IIs + SRM-717. And that would probably leave around $2-3k for cables.

Jul 10, 2003 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 35
Leo, I'd definately love to try that supposed upfront RS-1/RA-1 sound that is so beloved by Grado fans.

JMedeiros, I'd really like to try the embattled 'phones. I hear so many good things about them, and then days later, so many negative things.

Vertigo-1, can you compare that Stax combo to the Orpheus? It'll be tough to buy both and compare for a few months - the resale may not fare well for the O.

Jul 10, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 35
If you like your Sennheisers, get the HD600 + Blockhead. Many people seem to say that they have incredible synergy and are just plain amazing together. That's my dream system. I wish I could have it.
frown.gif
(*tries to hold in tears*)

Jul 10, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 35
I've never heard the Orpheus before, and most likely never will, so I'm afraid I can't say much there between the two.
tongue.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by screwdriver
blink.gif

this is not a typo right .
Bling - Bling....

lol, with 20k, i'm pretty sure you can buy ALL the stuff you've listed save the R10's and Angstrom amp...

give them all a try
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 35
For amp and cans, maybe Stax Omega II and Weebl/Blue Hawaii, then stick with verts suggestion of the source then pick some cables
biggrin.gif
, 20K is a mighty big budget.

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by el_diablo007
lol, with 20k, i'm pretty sure you can buy ALL the stuff you've listed save the R10's and Angstrom amp...

give them all a try
biggrin.gif

Official Head-Fi Guinea Pig
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by el_diablo007

give them all a try
biggrin.gif

that is what i am wondering.

Jul 10, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #15 of 35
That is such a wide range of stuff. Do you know the particular sound that you like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back