Upgrade Time / No End In Sight...
Sep 24, 2009 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kayito-san

100+ Head-Fier
To All Those Whom May Read This,

First, I must apologize for making yet another “Can’t Decide on a Headphone” thread. However, unlike some, I’ve been trying to avoid making such a thread without doing substantial research. Currently, I have a pair of Grados at home, and a pair of Sennheisers for commuting. While the Grados have vastly superior sound quality to the $70 CDN (ALL prices I quote will be in CDN) Sennheisers, they offer almost no—none, actually—isolation. The Sennheisers, while they do offer the perfect sound-proofing (not so much as to have me completely oblivious), their bass is at times frighteningly overpowering, and messes with the soundstage. Both headphones work… however, both are falling apart (although the Grados are being repaired/recabled by Joelby. Once again, thanks, man!) Needless to say, it’s time for an upgrade. A short time ago, I created a thread about Buyer’s Anxiety over a pair of Audio-Technica ESW9s. However, the order hadn’t been confirmed. After much though and deliberation, I suspended the transaction (not cancelled, suspended; paused.) I hadn’t really considered what I was doing. There are so many headphones out there that, while the ESW9s look and sound, for what short time I was able to demo, exceptional, I want to consider my options. I should first tell you what I’m looking for in a ‘phone:
  1. Price wise, I want to spend a maximum of $400 CDN, shipping and taxes included (which is puts me into the buying margin of a fair selection of headphones; apx. $300 USD to spend on the cans themselves—that’s without tax, nor shipping.) Depending on how good the deal is for a pair of phones, I may increase this budget, but in the Hi-Fi world, “bang-for-buck” typically decreases as price goes up.
  2. Isolation-- not enough for me to be oblivious of my surroundings, though. Just enough to make my daily walks to-and-from classes more pleasant.
  3. Sound depth; Lately, my Grados (SR225i) have felt ‘hollow’ and a little bit lacking. Largely, it’s because of their total acceptance of ambient noise (and I’m in residence), but also because of their lack of bass, and a bit of a lack of soundstage.
  4. Detail. The thing I love most about my Grados is their exceptional clarity and portrayal of details. The click of a guitar pick against the strings—even when it’s over double-kick bass drums at 180 BPM. Driver speed is a must! A lack of bass is preferable to a muddy or overpowering bass.
  5. Mobility/Drivability: These headphones have to be somewhat easily driven. That is, they need to be audible without an amp. I’m running these from a 2gen iPod Touch, which has a good amount of juice, seeing as I may only listen for 1-2 total hours between charges. If I’m at home, or have access to a wall outlet and have time to spare, I’d use my Macbook Pro. If the headphones do require amping, then I’ll consider buying an amp with the headphones, provided that the cost does not $450 CDN incl. shipping.
  6. Looks are important. Firstly because I’m a prospective design student, secondly, I’ll be either wearing these headphones around my neck or on my head for most of the day, good weather between the buildings provided. Full-sized Sennheisers aren’t my thing, with the exception of the HD800s, which may or may not be the most amazing looking, sounding, and feeling headphones I’ve ever had the (glorious!) opportunity to try.
These cans will be used mostly (read: almost entirely) for metal. I also listen to some Jazz, with a nod to both Dave Brubeck as well as Frank Sinatra, but my favorite material is similar to this (Verdelet.mp3 - Akercocke). Akercocke is without exception my favorite band, so it will be material similar to that track that is to be played the most. (Note that the track changes pace and tone several times throughout.) However, with such a song, a great deal of sonic depth and soundstage is required for full enjoyment.

I’ve looked at a number of phones (but sadly, tried few). I’ve read numerous other threads with this very topic in mind;

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/loo...-metal-446654/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/loo...lation-446849/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ger...indeed-406658/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/cal...-d2000-446868/

Nonetheless, the choice is still very cloudy. Some of the headphones that have piqued my interest thus far include:
Audio-Technica ESW9A / -10JPN
beyerdynamic))) DT880
Denon AH-D2000 / -5000
Ultrasone Pro 900 (although out of my price range, sadly)

And here are their respective frequency responses, not that it’s a deciding detail, but it’s interesting to know how they measure up to one another;
graphCompare.php

The beyer looks pretty good, doesn't it... Then again, so does the Denon. Damn, I'm getting nowhere.
Upon further review, those DT880s take a hefty amount of juice.

Updates to come. All commentary and opinions welcome and encouraged!

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 8
It's my personal take that trying to run the 880s through an unamped source may cause you some frustration, UNLESS you go MANUFAKTUR and get the 32Ohm version. In that case, they should drive suitably straight from a portable device.

Truly of the choices you posted only the ESW9 really meets your requirements for portability and size-- the Beyer would really only work if you got the 32ohm and they're BIG. The ESW9 is small and attractive, and drives well without an amp. I'm guessing from the choices you provided that would be the closest match to your requirements.

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 8
I listen to metal, punk, jazz, classical, and bluegrass, among other genres, and I found that my AKG 271 was a great all-arounder, and I would recommend it if you want some isolation. In addition, I liked the way it fit and definitely the way it looked. One thing to be aware of, though, is that it will look fairly large on your head (or maybe I have a small head), but is very comfortable, so if you're walking around in public, that might be a consideration.

The 271 is easily driven out of a laptop, and was great out of my friend's Zune, so an amp is unnecessary. It is very detailed and I noticed that its soundstage seemed more expansive than my SR60's, which impressed me since the Grado is an open headphone, as I'm sure you're aware. It is somewhat bass-light, though, but its bass is quick and detailed, which I quickly got used to and began to appreciate.

There are many versions (new and old) of the 271, so if you do decide to shop around for one, I would recommend the MK II because it comes with two different earpads and two cables (one straight, one coiled) that are detachable. I found the detachable cable very useful when I was studying, since I would sometimes use it purely as an isolating device from my roommates so I didn't need to plug them into anything.

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 8
I don't know about the 271s; I demo'd some 702s and they still seemed somewhat bass-shy, rather similar to my Grados, actually. That said, I'm told that 702s and '01s have more bass than the lesser AKG cans. Don't get me wrong, they sounded exceptional.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 8
I have both the beyer DT880/250 and the grado SR325is and do happen to listen to metal.
Though at the brutal stuff the beyers cant match the 325is, for the more ambient stuff the beyers win, mostly because of the big soundstage and laid back character. Also they are not very bass heavy, but its pretty tight. The mids are a not as good as the 325is, but it works pretty good for metal.
I tried that sample you posted with both cans, reminds me of Solefald. The beyers win, with a lead and they can handle blastbeats with no problem. The SR325is just lacks the soundstage and ambiance for it. And even the 250ohm version can be ran from an mp3 player, it doesn't sound incredibly and it drains the battery faster but its definitely acceptable.
Also the DT880's are incredibly comfy.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 8
If ESW9's are on your list - then save a few extra dollars and get the ESW10JPN's - the difference in SQ is well worth it. Head-Fiers at my last meet in Guelph who owned the ESW9's were sorry that they listened to the ESW10's, since the difference blew their 9's away.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the beyer DT880/250 and the grado SR325is and do happen to listen to metal.
Though at the brutal stuff the beyers cant match the 325is, for the more ambient stuff the beyers win, mostly because of the big soundstage and laid back character. Also they are not very bass heavy, but its pretty tight. The mids are a not as good as the 325is, but it works pretty good for metal.
I tried that sample you posted with both cans, reminds me of Solefald. The beyers win, with a lead and they can handle blastbeats with no problem. The SR325is just lacks the soundstage and ambiance for it. And even the 250ohm version can be ran from an mp3 player, it doesn't sound incredibly and it drains the battery faster but its definitely acceptable.
Also the DT880's are incredibly comfy.

You know, while the Audio-Technicas are tempting, the sheer price of importing makes up a large portion of their cost-- and I keep re-looking (read: going back to) the DT880s. How do the High-Ohm cans compare to the Low-Ohm cans, sonically? HeadRoom also classifies them as open headphones...

[Solefald, eh? Hmm... *Goes to look them up...*]
EDIT: [Looked them up-- Pretty good stuff!]

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If ESW9's are on your list - then save a few extra dollars and get the ESW10JPN's - the difference in SQ is well worth it. Head-Fiers at my last meet in Guelph who owned the ESW9's were sorry that they listened to the ESW10's, since the difference blew their 9's away.

I'd like to do that; Unfortunately, ESW10JPNs are either inflated beyond belief (It would cost me apx. $750 to get a pair, which is outside my budget) and they're not available anywhere on the FS forum. I had the opportunity to buy a pair, but it slipped through my fingers at the last moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back