Upgrade Time - HD580, DT770?... the search begins
Feb 12, 2009 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

the_dong146

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys - so as the title explains, seriously considering a headphone upgrade (I think at this point even I am beginning to feel sorry for my wallet). My current collection is as follows, in IEMS X10s and SCL4s, though the SCL4s are waiting to be sold (of course the price drop to $80 came a week after getting these black coloured ones back, NIB from warranty...), with MS1s being my current full-size headphone. I have also owned/heard the HD280s as well, and was rather underwhelmed by them, too laid back/neutral for my tastes. I currently mainly run my headphones either out of my Zune (portable), or a HotAudio HotUSB1 DAC.

I do definitely enjoy my MS1s, yet I find I'm rarely using them as my X10s surpass in bass, detail etc. I have also found that highs are a little overwhelming/fatiguing for my tastes, to say nothing of the less than the less than ideal Grado comfort.

Basically looking for a pair to complement my X10s (though the Phonak PFE craze is tempting me as well). If it can be possible, some sort of blend of the SCL4/X10 sound signature, taming the sheer bass quantity (but not quality) while also providing some sweet mids. Again - complement my X10s. Do not care at all about open vs. closed, just what will sound best for the cash, considering these are just my personal use in my own room.

The leading candidate I'm looking at right now is the HD580 - any thoughts on how this would work for my purposes? I have also considered the DT770s, yet, again, not really looking for a bass monster phone.

Budget is probably~$150, this might be adjustable upwards based on a strong argument. Based on this - and the information above - any suggestions?

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #3 of 11
Without a significant amp the HD580s will also be laid back and neutral. You might want to check out the Audio Technica AD700.

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 11
hahah..i just recently upgraded from the HD580 and DT770 to some real nice yamaha Orthodynamics..

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the HotUSB1 + HD580 and don't recommend it. The HD580 needs more amplification.

FWIR...

The bass of the DT770/80 probably would be too much for you.

I suggest considering these:
- AKG K240 MKII ~$150 shipped
- Fostex T50RP
- JVC HADX1

Another vote for the T50RPss..

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 11
Hey guys - thanks for the responses, with some definitely interesting recommendations.

Regarding HD580 amplification - would adding a E5 provide enough in tandem with the HotUSB1?

Reading up on a couple of your recommendations - the AD700s sound quite appealing (don't know how I missed these honestly), with described forward midrange and decent bass (and actual soundstage!). I take it, as I don't require sound seal, that there's no point to the A700s then

Been less impressed with the Fostex comments - can the $80 phone really compete with cans twice the money?

Question again - is the upgrade worth it? (from MS1s), I do notice that these cans are generally in the same price range ~$100

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_dong146 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding HD580 amplification - would adding a E5 provide enough in tandem with the HotUSB1?

Provide enough what?

I used to enjoy an HD580 + HotUSB1 + uamp107B combo. Based on that and my current use of the Fiio E5, I would not consider using an HD580 + HotUSB1 + E5 combo.

Quote:

Reading up on a couple of your recommendations - the AD700s sound quite appealing (don't know how I missed these honestly), with described forward midrange and decent bass (and actual soundstage!). I take it, as I don't require sound seal, that there's no point to the A700s then

You may like the AD700 + HotUSB1 + E5 / bass boost combo. I've read positive posts of the AD700 + HotUSB1 and of the AD700 + E5. If going with the AD700, I suggest trying it first without the E5.

Quote:

Been less impressed with the Fostex comments - can the $80 phone really compete with cans twice the money?

Compete in what way?

Head-Fiers often post about preferring less expensive headphones to more expensive ones, and this Fostex is surely one of them. Of course that doesn't mean "you" would prefer it to X, Y, and Z headphones that cost twice as much.

Quote:

Question again - is the upgrade worth it? (from MS1s), I do notice that these cans are generally in the same price range ~$100

Price does not necessarily equate to preference. You may find that you prefer your MS1s to headphones costing twice as much. And within your current price range, you may find headphones that you prefer to your MS1s with some music or applications, but not all.

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 11
Clearly I wasn't coming across quite right - I certainly agree/hold to pretty much all your comments 1time.

May I ask why you would not considering the HD580 combo (of course I meant to say amplication).

Also - with the AD700 - I have heard varying things about their midrange - is it slightly forward or slightly recessed? Also, I understand that they are not totally known for their bass (OK with me) - how would this compare to MS1s?

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

May I ask why you would not considering the HD580 combo (of course I meant to say amplication).

In short, I have no desire to down grade with the HD580. If owning the HD580 again, I'd want the HotUSB1 or similar nice source with a much better amp, not a lesser amp like the E5. That is not to suggest that you could not enjoy the HotUSB1 > E5 > HD580, or prefer it to some other configuration or rig.

Quote:

Also - with the AD700 - I have heard varying things about their midrange - is it slightly forward or slightly recessed? Also, I understand that they are not totally known for their bass (OK with me) - how would this compare to MS1s?

I have not used the AD700 or the MS1. I suggest searching this forum for "AD700", and then google "AD700 MS1".

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 11
So after all the above recommendations etc. I am now fairly sure of purchasing the AD700s for the below reasons

- Great soundstage (IEM changeup, and MS1s definitely lack this)
- Sound signature is more of what I'm looking for to complement the X10s (good, but not dominant bass, more mid/bass emphasis)
- Comfort level/style
- Great deal

Any thoughts?

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

So after all the above recommendations etc. I am now fairly sure of purchasing the AD700s for the below reasons

- Great soundstage (IEM changeup, and MS1s definitely lack this)
- Sound signature is more of what I'm looking for to complement the X10s (good, but not dominant bass, more mid/bass emphasis)
- Comfort level/style
- Great deal

Any thoughts?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd5...-ad700-287549/
"The MS-1 are similar to the AD700 but are more in your face sounding and lack the soundstage and positional audio for games, movies and classical music/movie soundtracks. They may do slightly better for faster paced music like rock, pop, hip hop, and electronica though."
I totally agree with that explanation, IMHO you couldn't go wrong with the AD700s, they are great cans for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back