Upgrade time..Closed back headphone advice please?
May 23, 2015 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

colgreen

New Head-Fier
Good morning everyone. Hoping for advice please?

I have just upgraded my headphone amp to the Oppo HA-1, It arrives Tuesday next. 

Stage B in the upgrade process is to replace the DT770's with something a little more accurate. For domestic "keeping the peace" reasons I would prefer a good quality closed back headphone, as I do a lot of late night listening and although in a separate room, may have a problem with bleed and disturbed sleep in the next room.
Were it possible to use open headphones, I have realised that I would be spoiled for choice. Choosing a closed pair seems a little more difficult.

My initial thoughts were to go for the Audeze xc, which appear to have attracted some very good reviews and would be just in budget, provided I live on beans on toast for a month. Don't mind spending, but I am sure someone on here could suggest an alternative?

My preferred listening material is fairly wide ranging, with classical, blues and lighter rock dominating. In addition, they would be used for mixing and mastering from time to time, so I  a nice flat (ish) response.

Of course, its going to be a matter of audition before buying, as with anything, but a shortlist would be useful, as it looks like I could be travelling some distances to do this. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

May 23, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 5
No need to live on beans and toast, Mr. Speakers is having an end-of-life sale right now and Alpha Dogs are only $499. You can also get Alpha Primes for $800, but I haven't heard them so I can't advise. 

I wouldn't pick them over Audeze XC's for quality of sound but the isolation/leakage is a lot better than the XC's if you're concerned about disturbing somebody in the next room. 

As far as mixing/mastering goes, no headphone on the planet fits that description yet. This has been shot down for years on the engineering forums and it isn't a balance issue but a physics issue. So the best you can do on that front is get used to whatever headphones you use and how they translate to different mediums. The only way headphones is a good idea for mixing and mastering is if you know for sure you'll be the only one listening:)

May 23, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi and thank you for the response
Perhaps "mixing and mastering" is over guilding somewhat ! :) I have a reasonable digital desk, which I use to record myself and others. It's something that gives me a lot of pleasure. I agree totally with the point you make, however I must work with what i have and for the material I record (solo \ duo acoustic) it sorta works ok. The main problem with the old setup was that it was all coming out a bit thin sounding. Anyway, that's an occasional task. Reclining chair, good music and a glass of something is my main pleasure. I will add both of your suggestions to the list and look up a few reviews..Thanks again

May 23, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 5
My preferred listening material is fairly wide ranging, with classical, blues and lighter rock dominating. In addition, they would be used for mixing and mastering from time to time, so I  a nice flat (ish) response.

Enigmatic Audio Paradox. Best luck!

May 25, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Cheers Claritas, one more for the list, although an audition before purchase would be preferred. Consideration will be given however :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back