[Upgrade thoughts/suggestions..? HD600, HD650, Xonar Essence STX]
Aug 22, 2015 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CT007

1000+ Head-Fier
Setup: Xonar Essence STX(stereo output to 3.5mm) > HD600.

Just got HD650, and from my comparison testing thus far, it sounds quite recessed/dark/uneven, with more detail/clarity, smoother treble, and more-yet-muddy/fatiguing/'cheap' bass(very disappointing). Only the treble/vocals sounds better to me than the HD600. So, these will very likely be sent off to Ebay, unless there's some fix I'm missing. They are used, so I'd imagine they have been worn in, but they are quite clean...

When I put the HD600 back on, everything sounds right again. <3 Except for slightly bright treble(and a bit less detail/clarity). Would an O2+ODAC / Magni+Modi make any difference? Or do I need to take a significant leap up, and get an Asgard 2+(something) / Essence One / NFB-12 / etc?

Thanks, bros!

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 9
Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you installed the STX?
Try the Unified Xonar Drivers.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

You could get an external headphone amplifier and connect it to the RCA line-outputs (stereo audio) on the STX.
Maybe try a tube headphone amplifier? (as the STX already comes with a decent solid state headphone amplifier)

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 9
Going to try a Modi 2 Uber / Magni 2 Uber combo. *fingers crossed*

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 9
(delete)

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 9
For that price, you might also consider the NFB-15.

I went STX->O2 + ODAC->ODAC + Asgard 2->NFB-11. Very happy with the Audio-GD equipment. The NFB-15 and NFB-11 are the same except for the DAC.

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 9
  Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you installed the STX?
Try the Unified Xonar Drivers.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

You could get an external headphone amplifier and connect it to the RCA line-outputs (stereo audio) on the STX.
Maybe try a tube headphone amplifier? (as the STX already comes with a decent solid state headphone amplifier)

What noticeable difference is there, or, how can you tell, if the onboard audio/chip is affecting the soundcard? Is there static? I hear none at max volumes. No crackling or pops or anything.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 9
Different DAC/Amp will provide a slight difference vs your current soundcard, but that's all you'll get.

The Asgard 2 is slightly warm vs Magni family.
If you find the HD650 too dark then I would skip the Asgard 2.

I would pick a different headphone instead.
You should consider the AKG K712.

Best Luck!

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 9
  What noticeable difference is there, or, how can you tell, if the on-board audio/chip is affecting the sound card? Is there static? I hear none at max volumes. No crackling or pops or anything.

Active on-board audio may or may not effect how well the add-on sound card functions.
I guess technically windows is designed to work with more then one sound card active, but nothing it perfect.
You never know for sure until you disable the on-board, then see if anything sound quality wise changes with the add-on sound card.
I think it's just safer to disable on-board audio.

Aug 24, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 9
Fidelio X2 on the way as well. #excite! 
smile.gif

(Thanks for the review, Tyll!)

Gonna do a shoot-out between ATH-A900, HD600, HD650, X2. STX vs Magni/Modi 2 Uber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back